Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2021-02-25 19:11

Hi Jorge,

A bit of dictionary haha.
Atlantis is a fictional island mentioned in Plato's works.
In European architectural sculpture, an atlas (also known as an atlant, or atlante plural atlantes) is a support sculpted in the form of a man, which may take the place of a column, a pier or a pilaster.
Anyway, your fantastic trip comes to the end. An interesting piece of the Catherine's Palace facade. I didn't look so carefully at this detail.
This time someone was kind to you :).
Yes, I saw the videos, thank you. Both are very interesting. The photos are with subtitles, so easier to understand. In the one about the archipelago they speak fast, I will try another time.

Take care
MAlgo

Old 02-25-2021, 05:16 PM
TE Expert

Talking To holmertz: In a zoo?

Hi Gert, Why do you think we were watching people like in a zoo? I saw the long-necked women in a few places surrounded by the herds of tourists and I very rarely see the tourists and all wanted to meet us - these women, their families, the kids. Here we were only four, the guide knew the people well, so we were invited to some huts like friends. We brought with us some gifts and also gave some money for school (we received even the receipt). So what was wrong with it? What is the difference between these women and for instance one-leg rowers on Inle Lake or the monks collecting alms?

best regards Malgo
Old 02-25-2021, 06:46 PM
TE Expert

I always feel uncomfortable at the idea of tourist groups, small or large, stepping into people's homes for no apparent reason to watch their furniture, dresses etc. It always gives me an impression of a human zoo. I dislike tourist groups for every reason, including this.
Regards,
Gert
Old 02-25-2021, 08:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default human zoo

Hello Gert!
To remember:
Trekearth = learning about the world ......
There are thousands of places in the world that cannot be reached alone, and if no one reports about them we cannot learn anything about them.
I have been to Mrauk U / Rakhine twice and I know that you can never or may never reach the Chin villages by yourself.
That's why I love such photos and notes from which I can learn something.
Like almost everyone here, you write comments about photos (mainly mundane) every day with bad descriptions from which nobody can learn anything, even technically very bad photos with copy and paste notes and give a dark green smile, even if you point out that the picture has technical defects.
I would never have been able to take my photos of the Lahu, Akkhy, Palaung people without a permit and a guide, so a mini group. And like Malgo, I always brought small, useful gifts with me, not to buy hospitality.
Would you have said no if you had been invited to this house?
Should I rename my pictures from there to human zoo?
What about all the good portraits of local people you've made in markets or temples?
Gert, since internet and digital photography and (a) social medias the whole world is a human zoo. sometimes good, mostly bad.
This is the truth!

Regards, Ronny
Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 PM
TE Expert

Hi Gert,

I noticed that I wanted to change something in the note and two lines of the second sentence were cut off, it lost sense.
What is the difference between my visiting the woman hut in the Chin village and Kasia visiting the Wakhan houses?

Kind regards MAlgo
Old 02-26-2021, 01:03 PM
TE Expert

It's the groups that I dislike. There is nothing wrong with going anywhere on your own, with or without a local guide/translator, and if people invite you inside their homes out of hospitality, that's great.

Generally there's a big difference between taking photos of people in public places like streets or markets and in their private homes, where they might feel obliged to pose because they have received a gift.

I reserve the right to write critiques to any photos of my choice, but of course I am flattered if anyone spends time keeping track of my activities on the site.

Gert