Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2018-09-13 0:09

Hello Fredrik, Classic view but what a view! Magnificent panorama. And you were so lucky with the weather, all is clear and weel visible, no haze or smog. I didn't especially like the city itself, but the setting of Rio de Janeiro is impressive. Awesome picture. Have you been on Sugar Loaf as well?
Kind regards MAlgo

Old 09-13-2018, 07:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To emka: Rio and Sugarloaf

I was indeed lucky with the weather. I spent three days in the city. When I arrived, the weather forecast predicted rain, rain, and more rain. So I delayed Corcovado until the last day. Apparently a smart choice, although it didn't rain a lot the other days either.

I think our opinions of Rio are quite the same. I had a hard time justifying to my Rio friends that it wasn't my favourite city. I liked the nature and the atmosphere at the beaches, but the city itself is too spread out, full of apartment blocks and you don't have the same kind of freedom as here in Europe (with regards to safety).

I had heard the view was better from Corcovado than the Sugarloaf, so considering the prices, I decided to do just one of them. Corcovado felt like a must. With Sugarloaf, I teamed up with a Colombian and tried to do it by climbing. Obviously, it was impossible, but we reached about halfway up the hillside and earned ourselves a story! Afterwards, we climbed the much easier Morro da Urca for the views.