Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2014-08-29 4:12

Hi Fredrik
so what inticed you to visit this African Nation?
We don't here much at ALL about this country..
and to be honest, i personally know NOTHING about it.

i'd be interested to hear about your travels here...was it safe? easy to get around? whats to see in this country?

wonderful post here with the dry arrid landscape and the long black road ahead of you.
excellent post for TE
cheers
craig

Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 AM
TE Junior Member

Talking To macjake: Why Africa

There is a friend of my family (the one who joined me running NYC Marathon), and he was supposed to meet a group from Norway in Zambia. Then I actually said "I'll join" before he said where. We wanted to do a big trip around southern Africa before meeting the group and we are both into visiting as many countries as possible. Then we did some research and found out Lesotho seemed to be well worth it, which it indeed was.

Getting around is easy enough if you have a rental car, but I think it gets a lot worse if travelling by buses. Parts of South Africa was extremely unorganized and you often either had to pay for expensive taxis or wait for a shared taxi to go (takes a lot of patience sometimes). I think Lesotho is slightly better organized, but it is a mountainous country and getting around takes time. There is a route cutting through west-east in the middle of the country, but I think that one is quite bad. Generally I think the infrastructure is improving a lot these days, but I would definitely prefer a rental car. I never felt unsafe there. I felt generally safer there than in South Africa. I recommend the lodge at Malealea if you ever visit the country.

Lesotho had a lot of beautiful sights along the way. Not too many of the stunning tourist attractions, they have some waterfalls and canyons, but what you want to see in this country is the culture. The rondavels, the pony trekking and the basotho music. The winters are dry and sunny, and although it's freezing at night, the day temperatures can be up to 15 degrees celsius. What I recommend the most is Malealea Lodge, Sani Pass (Africa's Highest Pub) and Moteng Pass.

Cheers,
Fredrik