Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 04:05 PM
TE Expert

Default cookies etc at opening the website for the first time

Hi there,

Every time I open TrekEarth on a new device, new phone, new comp, or after a while it asks me to accept the cookies etc. The problem is that it displays two screens with this or similar request and I noticed you have to accept them in certain order. The one which is displayed with the first request is very quickly covered with the second request. You cannot accept the one which is displayed as second unless you have accepted the first one. And you cannot move aside the first request. So... I know that already so what I do -if I don't click ok on the first request quickly enough I reload and the first request is repeated so I am trying to quickly click on it before the second screen appears.
However, I have asked several people to look at TrekEarth recently (smart young people with IT knowledge) and they gave up saying that they cannot go through questions about cookies. I think the way these requests appear are discouraging a lot of people who try to look at the website for the first time. Most of us use the same devise so we don't need to approve constantly, but if you are new, you will not bother figuring out how to click though multiple requests. I am quite tired of explaining to new people that I am on this great website (I mean TrekEarth) but almost nothing works and you cannot even open it if you don't have a strategy to do it.

I know it is a bit naive to ask for help here and hope that somebody will do something about it, but nevertheless the website is not entirely dead yet.
If the Administrators/Owners have any interest in new people visiting this site I strongly encourage them to look into these messages. No other website asks these questions on two screens covering each other and none does it in such complicated way.

Kind regards,
Mariusz
Old 03-19-2021, 05:06 PM

Default Hi Mariusz...

Hi Mariusz,

Hopefully will JoŽl or somebody else from IB soon give you an answer...
I did respond because I am also quite curious about the answer.

Amitiťs,
Viviane
Old 03-19-2021, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Could you please send me a screenshot of this issue to [email protected]?
Old 03-19-2021, 05:58 PM
TE Expert

Done. I have sent you email with two screenshots and the following message:

Hi Joel,
I attach two screenshots. One is titled "Screen 1 with emerging screen 2". It shows the question about data privacy, there is blue button ACCEPT there, but you see above it white box appearing already, this is the box with questions about cookies settings. In the second screenshot you see the white box became bigger covering the box about data privacy which is now below it.
You have to accept first data privacy box but you cannot switch to it because it is covered with the box about cookies.
The only way I manage to do it is to reload the whole page and very quickly click on the blue accept button before the white box develops.
If this is something IB has on other websites I wouldn't be surprised if the number of their visitors would drop since then substantially.
I invited several people to watch my photos on TE recently and nobody managed to go through, they gave up.
For frequent visitors it is not a problem since they have accepted it long time ago and don't need to do it anymore.
I needed to delete my comp cookies etc to be able to see these screens.
Kind regards,
Mariusz
Old 04-02-2021, 06:22 AM
TE Expert

Hi Viviane,
just for your information Joel has answered my email then, he wrote:
"Ah OK, thank you. I thought it was this. We've had the complaint on a couple of sites with users predominantly outside of the US. I'll alert tech!"
However, I tested it today and nothing has changed.
Maybe IB does not care about the European market or they lack skills to fix it.
M
Old 04-02-2021, 06:27 PM

Default Merci Mariusz!

Merci Mariusz,

Itís a pity I canít help but I am absolutely not a technical person, understatement!
But I am glad you posted that question and kept me aware...

Amitiťs,
Viviane
Old 04-27-2021, 06:37 PM
TE Expert

Hi Joel,
just checked now. It is not fixed. One still blocks another blocking access to the website.
Kind regards,
Mariusz
Old 08-01-2021, 08:00 AM
TE Expert

Default Impossibility to enter Treakearth

No it's not fixed!!!

It was several weeks if not months that I could not enter TE for exactly the same problem reported by Mkamionka, and I tried with both my desktop and laptop. Also another friend of mine had the same problem. I's really annoying and I could not understand how the site could work in these conditions.

To-day: miracle! for a split of a second I could see the pop up window (the dark one) behind the bigger popup window asking to select the cookies and I could click on the OK bottom there. After that I could save my cookies preferences and so enter the site!

So the problem is that unless you first click "OK" in the first dark popup window, the second one does not work. BUT the second one usually covers and hides entirely the first popup window so it's impossible to complete the requested selection.

So strange that no other people reported this problem.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:21 AM
TE Expert

Default solution

PS

In my view there is a simple and obvious solution to this problem:

to modify the script so that the second popup windows open ONLY after the first one is closed.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:59 AM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Could you please send me a screenshot of this issue to [email protected]?
You cannot see the popup windows because they appear only when you are using a different device than normally so that the system requires the acceptance of the cookies - like in Mkamionka case - or when someone has not accessed to the site since a long time a so the cookies are gone - like in my case.

Anyway, in my view the position of the first popup window is desultory, sometimes appearing so that the OK button is visible and sometimes is completely hidden by the second and bigger popup window.

So the solution is to retard the appearance of the second window.

(I don't know if I'll be able to access to the site a secont time, due to this problem)