Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2021-03-25 7:37

Hello Chris,
Most of this is in a ruined state but large parts of the frieze along the base are reasonably well kept. From this low angle the dark blue sky provides a strong background. I was surprised to see in the WS that this is also called a Hero÷n. I don't often see the letter ÷ in what seems to be English.
Regards,
Gert

Old 03-25-2021, 03:36 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Heroon

Hi Gert

I tried changing it to 'Australia' many times but had to change my email to add .au on the end, which is not part of my real password. Like a lot of other TE features, edit is not always working. Btw heroon is a Greek or pre Greek word, hence the Scandinavian style ÷. In Norway, they have 4 'a's, each with a different accent! From Wiki: "A hero÷n or heroon (plural heroa) (/hɪˈroʊ.ɒn/; Ancient Greek: ἡρῷον, romanized: hēr˘ion, pl. ἡρῷα, hēr˘ia), also Latinised as heroum, is a shrine dedicated to an ancient Greek or Roman hero and used for the commemoration or cult worship of the hero. They were often erected over his or her supposed tomb or cenotaph."

Cheers Chris