Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Need help with chosing a DSLR Camera

Thanks Stephen for taking out time to post reply. I really appreciate that.
Regards,

Hemant
Old 06-01-2007, 10:07 AM
TE Junior Member

Thanks a lot Stephen for taking out time to post a reply. I saw your pictures as well and no doubts they say a lot about you and also a lil about the camra you use ;)
Thanks again.
Regards,

Hemant
Old 06-01-2007, 11:43 AM
TE Senior Member

The Pentax 14/2.8 also has been tested against the others and rated better; although it is not a full frame lens, which does make it easier to design and sell when compared to a full frame 14mm.

But ofcourse a fullframe 14mm is a real 14mm (on a full frame camera) and this 14mm Pentax, which you say is not full frame, thus can only be used on a dSLR, is actually a 21mm lens. Which you should compare to a 21mm lens on full frame..atleast that's what I think.

But indeed, it's easier to build a non full frame lens.

Thanks for the backup Darren :)

I allready had the idea to make a list of lenses and cam's with prices next to it, you will see, that more or less comparable lenses are not be that expensive (or even super expensive :|)

Maybe I'll make a little list later :)
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
TE Senior Member

[Infact the entire idea of focussing only on Nikon or Cannon was pretty stupid and thanks for pointing out Pentax, I'l surely keep this option in mind.
thanks a ton again.]

>>>>>>
Well, I wouldn't call it stupid maybe, but it's, well pretty standard..lot's of people only look to either Nikon and Canon. And yes they have the broadest platforms, the best marketing departments, they are rich companies, can invest a lot (R&D). But it's a bit narrow choice still (2 brands I mean, their platforms offer plenty of choices, but that's not what I meant), not so openminded. You don't have to buy a Pentax (or Olympus or Sony), but it's atleast fair to take them in to consideration.

There just are no 'bad' dSLR's at the moment, only dSLR that fullfill different needs. Different people have different demands, different brands can fullfill those demands. Some camera's have shortcomings on some facets, others on other facets. What is a shortcoming for someone, might not be a handicap for someone else. One has to look for him or herself what you find important about a camera, what kind of features it offers or has to offer for you.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:45 PM
TE Expert

I'm basing my thoughts on the prices here in Portugal.
Maybe Pentax don't have much business in Portugal and that said the prices here are very high (and hard to find those lenses).

I've just checked online sites and yes, some pentax lenses are cheaper than Canon or Nikon ... however they miss some features too.

Canon 50mm 1.4 has a USM motor; Pentax don't
Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
TE Senior Member

I don't think those who have criticised the Nikon D40/D40x have really considered the target market for the camera. It's really aimed at newcomers to DSLR photography, and for these people it's probably the best buy on the market at the moment. For those people like me who have built up a collection of Nikon prime and zoom lenses over the years, it's probably not the best choice; as others have said, only AFS and HSM lenses will provide autofocusing.
For newcomers though, who haven't yet bought into a lens system, this isn't really an issue. At the lower end of the market, the Nikon AFS zooms such as the 18-70mm and 18-200mm are solid performers and will work perfectly on these cameras, as will the f2.8 zooms at the top of the range. The D40x will give you just as good image quality (same sensor) as the more expensive D80 and D200, and at a fraction of the price.
Talking of primes, Nikon are quietly phasing out their current range of screw-driven prime lenses - 24mm, 28mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 have all been discontinued. It looks like there will be quite a few new prime lenses released in the months to come (AFS/VR etc - compatible with D40x), and they will probaly be released at the same time as the full-frame D-3X later in the year.
So, if you're new to DSLR photography, the D40 or D40x would make a great first camera, and compatible Nikon primes are on the way.

Hope this helps,
Ben
Old 06-01-2007, 09:21 PM
TE Expert

I agree with you, all new lenses will focus, but not primes at the moment (I personally prefer the zooms).
D40 is aimed for newcomers.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 PM
TE Expert

The D50 is also aimed at newcomers and all the lenses will work.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 AM
TE Senior Member

and they will probaly be released at the same time as the full-frame D-3X later in the year.

I don't think Nikon will come with a full frame. What is your source?
The D50 was aimed at newcomers, it's discontinued, but if you can still get it, get it.

VR on a prime? could be..but a bit strange, but maybe.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:37 AM
TE Senior Member

While I understand what you are saying, it is exactly because of who the target market is that makes the D40/X the very worst possible camera for that market in my opinion. I certainly have no problem with you having a different opinion, but mine is certainly different.

My reason for hating the D40 (and I do hate it), is that it quite likely cripples the buyer who didn't know any better when making the purchase. I fully believe that many first time buyers will believe at the time of purchase that the kit lens, or perhaps a two zoom lens kit will be all they ever want. If this is true, the D40 is fine. However, if they are like me, or like many of my friends who have become more serious about photography, they will find that a kit lens is not what they want in the end. After a while they will want higher performance lenses and primes are higher performance lenses than zooms. They are faster, typically sharper and most typically produce better bokeh as well as being lighter. So, now we have a shooter who has found that s/he really loves the hobby and wants to take the next step. There are tons of people who will want a cheap, fast prime as their first "better lens". Certainly if you are shooting night scenes or indoors without a flash, the f/4.5 on the kit zooms isn't going to do it for you. Now, what is that slightly more experienced D40 shooter going to do? S/he could buy one of the Nikkor primes, but there goes AF. The only option will be the Sigma 30/1.4, which is a good lens, but which is not tiny either and it is not made by Nikon, which many want. The very first "good" lens a D40 shooter wants is just not there, but they already own the camera. What are their choices?? They can buy a new body, which is a horrible value, of course. They can make due with the one lens which matches that description, or they can suffer. I don't see any of those as being good options. Actually, I see them all as being terrible options and options the inexperienced user won't even understand when making the original purchase.

How many people have advised to add a cheap 50/1.8 as an essential piece of kit for a very low price when suggesting "what next" to a new camera owner? Lots, I see it all the time. Again, this option is totally gone now. What is even more frightening, should you be a Nikon user, is that I would bet almost anything that the replacement for the D80 will be similarly crippled. This is good business for Nikon; people will be forced to buy more new, not used, lenses in the future. This is not good news for Nikon shooters. Even worse is that if this does happen, the market for used Nikkor lenses will drop quite a lot. Those Nikkor primes youhave already will be worth much less should you want to sell them. I think that can't be good news for anyone who is a Nikon shooter.

The irony is that, I am not a Nikon shooter, but I have always been a Nikon fan. With the D40, that is not true anymore. Also, it is worth remembering that this is the same Nikon company which tried to force the purchase of Nikon software by encrypting the white balance so third party companies couldn't use it. Fortunately, the market reacted loudly to that, but it seems a bad omen looking back.

It is too bad I think that this has happened, as the D40 should be an exciting camera, one which pushes the envelope for all users, just like the D70 and D200 did.