Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2019-08-22 1:20

Hello Gert,
When I visited the north of Vietnam in spring 2017 I thought about going to the centre of the country to visit Hué and Hoi An. So I asked other western travellers about their experiences and those were very mixed. Many people loved Hoi An and advised to pass quickly through Hué. A few people told me that Hué was the place to visit and that for Hoi Ann I should better reserve only an afternoon.
I did not understand the contrast between the two versions till an older traveller explained me that those who liked Hoi An that much were mostly very young travellers without much experiences. They go to Hoi An and enjoy sitting all day in a cafe meeting fellow westerners and have fun. Hoi An seemed to be a Vietnamese version of Khao San Road in Bangkok (or what that street ever was).
Older more experienced travellers hated that kind of places and were much more impressed by a normal city as Hué and especially by its famous historic centre.
In the end, I didn't have enough time to travel to the center of the country and to return to Hanoi. But I'm quite sure that for me Hué would be the highlight of a journey and not Hoi An.
You show us here three attractive daily life-pictures from a time when Hoi An was still worth a visit, maybe even to stay for a couple of days.
The conical hats make the photos so picturesque.
I also like the one with the Japanese covered bridge very much.
Thanks for your informative note.
Best regards, Paul

Old 08-23-2019, 08:49 PM
TE Expert

Talking To PaulVDV: You should have asked me

Hello Paul, You should have asked me. I would advised you to go to Hue and Hoi An. These are quite different but for me both are fascinating cities. I do not knwo if there is any Vietnam small city that is preserved and is not known. Nothing in common With Khao San. Maybe more similar to Lijiang in China. Besides, from Hoi An one can go to My Son (It is Vietnamese name, not English) , which is less known and is something similar to ruins like Angkor, but of course on the much smaller scale. But of couurse that time is limited and the places in the north were also worth visitng.

Kind regrads Malgo