Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2019-02-11 1:00

Hi Mariusz,

By Jove, you have written a fabulously detailed and informative and comprehensive note, not just for Craig but also for anyone else contemplating a visit to these parts of Egypt. And I think your advice for would-be travellers should certainly be taken on board by anyone considering a holiday here - a holiday which could not only be relaxing and enjoyable but also very educational too.

But, I'm wondering, you were here twelve years ago in 2007 - do you think it would still be safe to travel these parts today? And would you take a young family these days?

Your photograph is of amazing quality and even more impressively so considering that it was taken with a considerably more basic camera than the one you now use. The light, contrasts and details here are superb.

A perfect presentation for TE!

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:35 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz,
What do you know about the joy of travelling? You are just a tourist, not a traveller. The only exotic places you have visited so far were Turkey and Egypt and a part of Argentina. You haven't been to black Africa, Asia or other countries of Latin America, you have no idea how to move around there. (Australia and New Zealand are civilized).
I spent altogether 5 months in Latin America, well, only 5 weeks in black Africa, but maybe a year in different countries in Asia. Even in the USA I have more yellow colour than you. And Gert experience is much bigger.
The way of traveling depends on the country. Usually, in just underdevelopment countries public transportation is better than in deloped ones where most of the people own the cars.
Yesterday I have met Harry Mitsidis, maybe the greatest traveller in the world now. He was in 193 UN countries. 265 UN+ (not recognized) also Antarctica and Arctic. What a pleasure was to chat with him! I met also other travellers, for instance, travelling independently in South Africa with small kids.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 PM
TE Expert

Dear Malgo,
You are completely right. I have seen merely a fraction of places I would like to visit. And I will most probably never visit as many countries as you already did. Everybody travels as he or she is able to. I left my country over 20 years ago and since then I constantly move from one place to another. Therefore my life is one big travel. And I was blessed to see already some places which are may be not as wild as the places you went to, but so beautiful that I really know what the joy of travel is.
On the other hand after an argument which I had with one of the TE members some time ago, I realized that it does not matter how many countries one ticked off a list, or how wild the places one visited are, if one does not travel with an open mind, one may stay more narrow minded than some people who never left their village. Of course, it does not apply to you but it is something I learned talking to another well-traveled TE member.
I keep learning about the world through this website, sometimes the learning is quite unexpected,
M

Last edited by mkamionka; 02-13-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 PM
TE Expert

Mariusz, of course you are referring to me as "one of the TE members". But what the hell do you know about me? How dare you call me narrow-minded and claim that I don't travel with an open mind? You have never met me, you have no idea of what I think of the world or other people.
What I do know is that I have spent 50 years travelling through large parts of the world, not " ticking countries off a list", but always eager to learn more from meeting other cultures. 99 percent of my time I have used local transports - not travel agencies - squeezed for many uncomfortable hours among persons of all colours and religions, often sharing their food, sometimes being invited to their homes, steadily feeling my understanding of the world growing.
I studied social anthropology at university to learn about cultures totally different from my own. For more than 30 years I worked as a foreign news reporter, travelling to places you would never dare to even get close to, meeting "everyone" from high to low, from Presidents and Prime Ministers to gravediggers and child soldiers, intellectuals and farmers, as well as the usual "men in the street" that all journalists meet.
I am now 71 years old and know that my experiences in life have taught me that although certain places in the world pose a temporary danger to visitors and should be avoided, no cultures or religions are fundamentally dangerous. I believe I know more about the hospitality and kindness of people in Africa or the Arab world than you will ever know, because you don't have the guts to go there.
I have been robbed a number of times in Africa but I would never hate Africans for that. I had a very dangerous experience in Afghanistan when I was young, but it would not enter my mind to hate Afghans. But you have spent your life hating gypsies because some of them robbed you when you were a child. How about that for open-mindedness?
Maybe I am narrow-minded because I reject your conspiracy theories about Poland's membership of the EU?
I have noticed that insults come easily to you, especially to persons you have never met. I should be allowed to demand an apology, but I don't care. You are much too unimportant for that.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:42 PM
TE Expert

No sir, you still owe me apology for what you wrote under THIS photo.
This was personal and not acceptable.
I don't care how old you are or how many countries you have visited.
You have no right to talk to me or about my country like that and that was a proof of who you really are.
Regards,
M
Old 02-14-2019, 04:51 PM
TE Expert

Mariusz, you are such a fool. What do I care about you? Please get out of my life.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:59 PM
TE Expert

I am sorry but I didn't personally invite you to comment under my photo.
It is so easy: stop looking at my photos and reading my notes.
M
Old 02-14-2019, 05:15 PM
TE Expert

Old 02-14-2019, 06:04 PM
TE Expert

Hohoho, it goes very far. Don't forget Mariusz that Poland is also MY country but after your living abroad more than 20 years (you boast about it very often) I doubt if it is still YOUR country.
I checked your previous arguments:

Accepting new countries to the EU was not to help the poorest but it was a business deal: western companies were able to cheaply purchase companies in the new member states, they got access to new large markets for their products which are still much more EU-subsidized than the same products in new member states, finally they got access to a cheap labor force. The new countries were able to get rid of the unemployment, and got some money to improve the infrastructure, roads etc so that the better-subsidized products from the west could reach remote destinations.

Do you really believe it? It is just absurd. I not only travel to far away countries, but I also travel quite a lot in Poland. Poland has not only the new roads like never ever before (so that....), but there are new philharmonics, theaters, University campuses, the monuments are renovated. Would you call it a "deal"?

How much does your country contribute to the EU budget?

Poland:3,553.29 MÄ.

How much does EU spend in your country?

Poland:10,637.81 MÄ
What do you say about it?

Coming once a year for a short holiday in Poland is not the same as living here. And you just prefer to earn bigger money and work for international firms. I have also brilliant minds at home. Do you think they were not offered big money in the biggest and most prestigious firms? But they prefer to work for Poland and stay in Poland (sounds pathetic but it is the truth).

But returning to safety. Is Poland a safe country? The beloved Mayor of Gdansk, Paweł Adamowicz was brutally killed on the stage during the charity concert. It happened after hatred against him in official media. He was not killed by a refugee. It was a Polish citizen who has now the status of the victim (??).

By the way, as maybe you could observe. I am tired of TE. I do not write critiques or post new pictures.
M
Old 02-14-2019, 06:07 PM
TE Expert

Sorry I just had a moment to read your letter. It seems instead of apologizing you keep insulting me personally for no reason,
You started to insult me because I kindly tried explain to you that comment under your photo was inappropriate and insensitive.
What you wrote unfortunately confirms my diagnosis.
I feel quite sorry for you though. You wrote "get out of my life".
This is really sad, and awkward because the discussion happens to be under my photo!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:35 PM
TE Expert

Malgorzata,
I am confused: I am not a traveler but Poland is not my country anymore because I live too long abroad. Pick one

I am really sorry Malgorzata, from what you wrote it seems that the money is everything what counts for you.
Yes, netto Poland still gets more than it pays in, I never questioned that.

I am not sure what of what I wrote is a surprise to you:

Quote:
Accepting new countries to the EU was not to help the poorest but it was a business deal: western companies were able to cheaply purchase companies in the new member states, they got access to new large markets for their products which are still much more EU-subsidized than the same products in new member states, finally they got access to a cheap labor force. The new countries were able to get rid of the unemployment, and got some money to improve the infrastructure, roads etc so that the better-subsidized products from the west could reach remote destinations.
There is no such thing in politics like charity. Politicians make decisions based on what will be profitable for their countries. Did you believe otherwise?
Did you not notice that most companies which are in Poland nowadays are having foreign owner? Did you not notice that some of them were shut down after they have been bought by competition?
Didn't you know that Dutch farmer gets higher subsidies than Polish farmer and that Polish agriculture is in bad shape while what you buy in Polish shops is largely from Netherlands or Germany?
Didn't you know that 2 Millions of Poles work as cheap work force abroad. And most of those who stayed in Poland work as cheap workforce at home?
Yes the infrastructure was improved clearly, financially Poland still gets more than it pays in so that is where the money mainly goes.
Although new campuses at universities were built, monuments were renovated even before Poland joined EU.

I think the main problem we have in Poland, Europe, America is that people think inside the box. In Poland they are either one party or another. In UK they are pro Brexit or against, in US they are pro-Trump or against. This polarization is not doing us anything good.
If I say that joining EU was a business deal, you have classified me already as being against EU, that is a huge simplification. This simplifications are used by people who like to polarize societies. That is why Trump has won, why Brexit happened, why populist parties are winning in the whole Europe. Sadly media seem to enjoy it. BTW who are the owners of the media? So called right wing media show a distorted image of the reality, and so do the so called liberal media. They like to put labels. They show the other side as pure evil. This is wrong. If the mainstream media would openly talk about problems which real people have, trying to show all sides, there would be no right wing problem. But if they avoid some subjects the alternative media start to appear. They polarize societies.
I had a chance to be in Poland when it opened to the world, now I have a chance to live in a country which seems to be closing... exiting.
We have to change thinking.

I am glad though that you are trying to be objective and you are saying the Poles have great opportunities in Poland, and unlike Gert suggested, opening UK borders was for us not an "opportunity of a lifetime".

One of the problem I personally see is that it is an Islamophobia to talk bad about Moslems, or antisemitism to talk bad about Jews, but it is OK to talk badly about "Eastern Europeans". I don't like that, even though I may not be a proper Pole as use suggest, I think it is wrong. That pisses me off. Regardless who is doing it.