Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-29-2003, 01:17 PM
TE Newbie

Default For those who have pricey Cameras !

I just Wanted to know (only for those who have pricey Camera so much than 1500 =around 1500$) if they bought their lovely cam for their pleasure or for their work.
Is it Yours? It is your society's cam ?

I wonder many many questions!

thank you.
bye.

Matt
Old 05-29-2003, 05:06 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: For those who have pricey Cameras !

I guess I qualify because I plan on buying a 10D soon.

Pure pleasure, if it ever turns out profitable then even better
Old 05-29-2003, 08:38 PM
TE Newbie

I buy for pleasure. Photography used to be my career, but I got tired of starving :-) and moved on to technology. I like gadgets and I like having the latest and best tools that I can afford.

Mitch
Old 05-30-2003, 12:19 AM
TE Junior Member

I bought my Nikon D100 because I had come from having an SLR originally, and got tired of the restrictions of my Olympus D2020. Now I have a huge amount of flexibility again :)

Anyway, prices are falling rapidly at the high end...

Ron.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:17 AM
TE Expert

My pleasure and strictly mine. Though the second Leica body I own was a christmas gift from my wife.
Unfortunately, in this range of cameras the prices have not been coming down for 20 years. The positive point is that i can re-sell my equipment only one third below the price I bought it...
Old 05-30-2003, 04:17 AM
TE Newbie

I do paid professional work as a photographer, so my "pricey camera" is used for work. However, I use it extensively for unpaid personal projects as well, and for day-to-day shooting. So it's for pleasure too.

Whether for work or pleasure, I find that I take photos a certain way. This way requires certain tools with specific attributes. For much of my photography, a spot meter, 100% viewfinder, short shutter lag, robust chassis, etc are essential. These attributes and others are usually absent on a sub-$1000 camera, so I decided it was worth the expense.

The cameras I own (pricey and not) have the attributes I need to do the work I need to do. Thus, my decision on what to buy has more to do with my personal style of photography than work requirements versus personal requirements.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Like Ronners, I just purchased a D100 too. I've toted my trusty T70 for about 20 yrs and wanted to have more flexiblity and capability the Nikon offers.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:00 AM
TE Junior Member

Purely for my personal pleasure. I have moved from the film-based Canon EOS-3 to digital, first with the D30 and now the 10D. Teach myself more in two years with digital then 5 years using film-based cameras.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:25 AM
TE Junior Member

I guess I have to put myself in the pricy camera bracket - the Canon 10D cost me $1500, then I had to buy batteries and a flashcard, and now a little printer.

Why did I do it? Photogrpahy is gradually taking over my life, since I started in 1999. I began with a fairly old (purchased 1991) Canon (hardly ever used till 1999), then when it died from over-exposure to seawater got a Canon 50E (they'd just gone out of production, so I got it cheap). Then just a month or two ago decided to go digital and got the 10D, which is supposed to be the best digital currently avauilable (till someone brings out a better and yet cheaper one, as they undoubtably will in less than 6 months!).

Why did I chose to go so expensive? This camera does all sorts of marvellous things that my manual camera could not. I can change ISO, from 100 up to 3200. I can set white balance and colour temperature. With the 512M flashcard I can take 200 pics on a 'roll' of digital 'film'. I can handle slow-synch flash (well, so could the 50E - but with digital I get to see the result at once). Etc.

Any drawbacks? It doesn't take b+w. Yes, I can produce a b+w output, but I miss the tactile sense of real film b+w. It has a far wider contrast range, which can actually be a drawback sometimes to someone who has become used to exploiting the narrow range of transparency films. But these are minor points. I expect to get much fun from my expensive digital, and I don't plan to upgrade to the new model when it comes out.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:01 PM
TE Newbie

I picked up my first Canon D30 for pleasure. I just love to shoot photos while traveling around the world. Since then I've upgraded to the D60, but am holding out on the D10 until a better model arrives.

You can check out our travel photos and stories at http://www.valerieandjoe.com/travels. I have many D30 and D60 shots there.