To tyro: Never Too Old to Learn!

• Thank you for your thoughtful critique, John.
    I did find this mural most interesting. Besides its low-light situation, it was the one feature that the guides were eager to promote, so this is where people congregated, which added to the difficulty of photographing it.

I hadn't heard the term 'trompe l'oeil' before but, I like to learn new terms.
    I wonder how many opportunities I will get to use it to keep it in my permanent memory!🤔

Have a good Sunday,
    Bev
  • Trompe l'oeil......
    Hi Bev,

Sometimes one comes across something really fascinating and you think, "How come I've never heard of that?". It happens to me quite often but I think that's maybe just because I'm probably a bit thick. So I was quite surprised that you'd not heard of "trompe l'oeil" or "tricking the eye" and it's a wonderful thing that some very accomplished artists manage to do. You can read about it on Wikipedia but here is a wonderful example from TE itself - just try to work out what and who is real and what and who are not!!

But, as I say, sometimes one comes across something surprising. Just as, a few weeks ago, I suddenly discovered, by browsing TE (and looking, I think, at some of Carlo's photographs) that you are apparently very fluent in Italian! Was that a subject you taught at school or were you once befriended by some lusty Italian Lothario?

Kindest Regards,

John. xx