Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2019-04-06 2:14

Hello Bev,

WOW!! How wonderful that you were allowed to take photographs in here! Of course, you were not allowed to use flash but that is pretty standard in places like this - though I'm sure in Scotland that photography in general is not allowed in National Trust properties - just in their gardens and so on.

Anyway, your photographs are of amazingly good quality considering what must have been pretty dim lighting and you have chosen perfect viewpoints to show off these remarkable murals to great effect.

Your main photo shows what is a fabulous "trompe l'oeil" effect, so well executed and with two figures seeming to fly in mid air across the cornicing between ceiling and wall!

Two wonderful photographs with excellent details and perfect colours - and a fascinating note to accompany them!

Brilliant!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:45 AM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: Never Too Old to Learn!

Thank you for your thoughtful critique, John.
I did find this mural most interesting. Besides its low-light situation, it was the one feature that the guides were eager to promote, so this is where people congregated, which added to the difficulty of photographing it.

I hadn't heard the term 'trompe l'oeil' before but, I like to learn new terms.
I wonder how many opportunities I will get to use it to keep it in my permanent memory!🤔

Have a good Sunday,
Bev
Old 04-20-2019, 11:58 PM
TE Expert

Default Trompe l'oeil......

Hi Bev,

Sometimes one comes across something really fascinating and you think, "How come I've never heard of that?". It happens to me quite often but I think that's maybe just because I'm probably a bit thick. So I was quite surprised that you'd not heard of "trompe l'oeil" or "tricking the eye" and it's a wonderful thing that some very accomplished artists manage to do. You can read about it on Wikipedia but here is a wonderful example from TE itself - just try to work out what and who is real and what and who are not!!

But, as I say, sometimes one comes across something surprising. Just as, a few weeks ago, I suddenly discovered, by browsing TE (and looking, I think, at some of Carlo's photographs) that you are apparently very fluent in Italian! Was that a subject you taught at school or were you once befriended by some lusty Italian Lothario?

Kindest Regards,

John. xx