Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-01-2003, 11:42 PM

Default Getting a picture below 200k in Photoshop

First, I resize the picture to the final size using Image/ImageSize - make sure that Constrain Proportions is checked, and that ResizeImage is checked and set to Bicubic. Type the size you want for the long edge, and the other axis will be resized accordingly.

Next sharpen the image - look at a section (or the whole image if possible) at 100% magnification, and select Filter/Sharpen - either use Unsharp Mask or Sharpen, if you use Sharpen I tend to immediately fade it to 75% using Edit/FadeSharpen. Watch for haloes appearing around sharper edges, that's a sign you've oversharpened the image - if they appear click Undo and try again!

Finally I choose File/SaveForWeb - this enables you to see what effect your JPEG settings will have on the final result. I use the "2-Up" view, because it allows me to compare the original with the compressed version. Select JPEG, then select a Quality of 65 (Blur 0), and make sure that Optimise is checked. Now gradually reduce the Quality setting - look at fine detail, and any sharp edges in your image - if you reduce the value too far artifacts will appear around edges, and fine detail will disappear. Most of my images are saved somewhere with a quality of between 50-65. When you vary the setting a filesize will be displayed - if it's below 200k you're done! Now remember to click Save, and give it a new filename - overwriting your original image is a very bad idea...
Old 09-02-2003, 10:29 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Getting a picture below 200k in Photoshop

Keep in mind, there's a 'Optimize to File Size' option if you click on arrow right to the 'Settings' drop-down select (top-right corner of the window).
So you can type 199K filesize and the decide is quality good enough to save it or you even can lower it providing lesser file.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:01 AM

Wondered why I didn't know that - then had a look, I think you must be using PS7 - it isn't here under PS6 ;-)

Personally I'd try and keep the filesizes down if possible - if you don't need to use 200k, why waste Adam's bandwidth and everyone elses?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:27 AM
TE Newbie

Yes, I use Photoshop 7.

And what about 200K: I always trying to find a compromise between quality and size of course.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:48 AM
TE Junior Member

With most of my photos, I won't go under Quality of 75. This sometimes means I must adjust the image size so the quality remains high. Lower quality images tend to lose colors and contrast, as well as the darker tones. They can also look a bit grainy.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:50 AM
TE Junior Member

It's also good to remember that the more you fiddle around in Photoshop, the larger your file size will be. I've often had to reevaluate my photo and then go back and streamline my processes to get a better image that is smaller.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Adrian, another tip that I picked up is to switch to Lab mode and choose the lightness channel for sharpening. This avoids color fringing. I think that you noted that somewhere else but this point probably belongs in this thread.

Ron.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:03 PM

Note: Using SaveForWeb strips EXIF data from digital photographs. I don't have any problem with this, mainly because the EXIF data seems to take up a disproportionate amount of space IMO.

My workaround: If you need the exposure info for your Notes, just write it down and add it to your Notes when you post ;-)
Old 01-05-2004, 04:10 AM
TE Senior Member

I've used the excellent information on how to use SaveForWeb, provided in this thread, at my latest posting and I found it very helpful. Thanks guys!

Kaj
Old 02-18-2004, 11:44 PM

Nothing added. I just thought this would be useful to new members so I'm trying to bump it back to the top. :-)