Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-02-23 2:05

Hello Jorge,
It is strange to erect a building in the form of a house of prayer of the former enemy after the military victory.
The picture is taken from a good point of view showing the mosque surrounded by the greenery and with a refection in the lake.
The overhanging branches can partly hide the dull sky.
Best regards, Paul

Old 02-23-2021, 01:45 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: revange

paul

in fact it is told she used the building as a toilet, what is a big offence to the enemy..

take care

jorge
Old 02-23-2021, 02:49 PM
TE Expert

Hello Jorge and Chris,

It is a Turkish bath, not the toilet!
In memory of the conclusion of the Yassy Peace Treaty of 1791, Empress Catherine II commissioned the architect Giacomo Quarenghi to design the Turkish Bath pavilion. This project was never implemented. Nicholas I decided to fulfill the intention of his grandmother-empress by decorating the park with a pavilion dedicated to the victories of the Russian army over the Turks, but already during another war, victorious for Russia, with Turkey in 1828-1829 and the Peace Treaty of Adrianople concluded as a result.The original design of the pavilion was prepared in 1848 by the architect Carl Rossi. He used, as a model, sketches of the bathhouse of the harem of the Old Palace in Adrianople, made in 1829-1830 by order of Nicholas I, the emperor's librarian Karl Sedger (1788-1840) and the battle painter August Dezarno (1788-1840). The marble details of its decoration, exported to Russia, were supposed to be used in the interior of the bathhouse.
Rossi's project was rejected by Nicholas I himself [3], but his drawings in February 1848 were sent to the chief architect of the Imperial palaces of Tsarskoye Selo, Ippolit Monighetti (he was only 29 years old at the time). The architect was asked to draw up his own project, but it was imperative to use marble parts taken from Adrianople. Monighetti himself visited Turkey and used his own watercolor image of the Adrianople mosque as a prototype for the pavilion. The place for the construction of the pavilion (on the Big Pond peninsula) was also determined by the emperor on April 30. In mid-May 1848, the architect presented to Nicholas I his version of the future pavilion. It was supposed to build a Turkish bath-hammam with Coffee, Divan (with a fountain in the middle and a balcony), Dressing room, Big bath, which was supposed to represent a round hall with a dome (it was an obligatory element of the hammam, allowing drops of water, which was formed by steam, to flow down the walls) and a niche with a transition to the Small Bath and the Hot Bath (with different temperatures). The original design included a water tank and a firebox. The pavilion was supposed to resemble a mosque with a dome and a minaret. Monighetti's project was approved in April 1850.
Best regrads MAlgo
Old 02-23-2021, 04:26 PM
TE Expert

It is an answer for Paul . But maybe Chris will be also interested.

M
Old 02-24-2021, 09:46 AM
TE Expert

Thanks! I received the answer.