Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Critiques - how long does it take you?

God, I get so aggravated. I have spent, it seems, most of the day writing critiques. I put a lot of thought into what I write and it seems to take forever. After spending a large part of the day viewing photos and writing critques, I looked and I had only written eight. I have to be in a mood to do it, too, or I can't write them at all. How much time does it take you guys?? I am really curious.
Shelly
Old 09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Critiques - how long does it take you?

the sad thing is it always have taken me longer to edit a critique than to write it. talk about neurosis and lousy typing....;-)
Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 PM
TE Newbie

For me it takes 1-2 minutes per critique.
For some folks here- it depends on how fast they find the Ctrl-V on their key board.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
TE Senior Member

hi shelly,

don't worry - you're not alone :) ... i spend quite some time writing critiques aswell - that's one of the reasons i decided to spend less time on TE - because it's quite addictive and writing critiques is another side of sharing ... i wouldn't miss that because it also means sharing a part of who i am - just like the photographs i publish are a part of me (far from perfect, of course but let's not get there right now :)

and i also spend a lot of time editing, because i realize the comment/critique i just wrote should be rewritten or that it has mistakes ...

and i spend a lot of time because i don't like copy/paste that much ... it's truly boring :)

take care,
dora
Old 09-24-2007, 08:27 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi, Dora...

Yeah, I guess if I didn't have to look at the keys when I type it might not take so long. LOL And like Herve said, too, I probably spend as much time correcting my typos as I do writing the critiques. And I spent 20 years doing communications. Imagine that. :))
S.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 PM
TE Expert

Too much time writing one critique for me too, I don't remember having seen the end of my 20 critiques daily allowance, not enough hours in a day ;D ...

Seriously, I would sometimes be tempted to write "wow, such a nice pic. TFS" (or inversely "It sucks big time", I think even more of this kind...) but I feel guilty not having something more elaborate to say behind that... hence I don't write that much...Not that what I'm writing is clever, but at least it starts from an idea.

Editing is a pain in the neck too, TrekEarth deserves a more user friendly notepad, definitely. Might be an idea for future developments, I have seen so many forums with decent word editors.

.. and there's also the forum that takes too much time participating ;D

Cheers
Luko
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 PM
TE Junior Member

You are not alone Shelly. Sometimes I spend a lot of time on one photo, and sometimes (rarely) I can write a critique in a couple minutes, but I also have to be in the mood. Some day’s I just can't write critiques.

I think I have gotten better at knowing why I like a photo and why I don't, which helps me write a critique faster. I used to look at a photo and think, "This is awesome!" but I couldn't explain why, and you can't just write, "This is awesome!" Well, I guess I could just write that, but then I'd feel guilty like Luko mentioned.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Shelly,

Hi share your point of view and your post in the forum is reassuring me. 3 critiques in 2 hours today and the same yesterday ! Moreover, I'm bad and slow in english, it is longer for me !

However, I enjoy TrekEarth ! Great site and community !

Regards, François
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM
TE Senior Member

Hey, Luko,

I sometimes wish it were politically correct to write critiques the way you mentioned. I could do hundreds a day..LOL I am like you, though, once I decide to write a critique, I have trouble leaving it at a line or two. Then I have to think of what I want to say, type it and then fix the typos. (and TRY to avoid redundancy) I hate using the same words over and over.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 AM
TE Expert

Ages.
As simple as that!
Especially in English since it is not my first language.

At the beginning of my participation in TE, I was doing more critiques than today. I never was a big "critic", but I could do 8 to 10 critiques a day. But, it became more and more unsatisfying. Ok, you get critiques (and points) in return, but it was just too much for me.

At one point, I decided to do critiques that were meaningful to me, and hopefully for others. I am no expert, but I try to give my true opinion. I look at photos that I critique carefully, the global "feel" and each details. I just cannot see how I would be able to look at the photo and do the critique in mere 2 or 3 minutes. Plus, I have to have something to say about the photos. In the contrary, I refrain from critiquing. And also, I have to be in the mood to do critiques too.

The result of that: I just can't do many critiques. I also decided to do this type of critiques because that way, I am learning about photography too.

Now, here is an interesting tool that some of you might like:
If you use Firefox as your browser, you can download the add-ons "dictionaries". You can add as many as you want. I downloaded the French and the English dictionaries. When I write in English, I click the left mouse button and choose the English dictionary and do the same when in French. It is not totally miraculous, it does not correct grammatical mistakes, but at least, it will tell me if I misspell a word. It will underline in red the word. I left click again and it gives me different possibilities. I hope it will help a bit.

Claire