Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Please remove Middle East Region!!

In my opinion, there are a few anomalies on TE as far as geography (in its widest sense) is concerned. A few examples:

Russia (Europe or Asia?)
Guadeloupe (France? Maybe a French colony by it's a Pacific island)
Falkland Islands (England? Not exactly - but not Argentinian either)

Every one of these (and, no doubt, many besides) could be the cause of heated arguments - and have even been fought over. However, I'd be more in favour of doing away with the geographical region and simply picking the country from a list.

At the end of the day, the TE map highlights where the photo was taken.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 PM
TE Newbie

Of course you are correct ben. You have the right to free speech no matter where you are in the world or on the internet. Even if your speech reflects ignorance, apathy and prejudice and a complete lack of intelligence or tact. Not that I would EVER say that about you. Lets just get back to enjoying the photos shall we. Cheers, Paul.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:04 PM
TE Expert

Guadeloupe (France? Maybe a French colony by it's a Pacific island)

Guadeloupe is in the Atlantic Ocean! ;o)
Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM
TE Expert

If you consider naming other people's views with the terms idiodic, ridiculous etc, is part of "freedom of speech", continue to do so my friend... So that, everybody will have the opportunity to see the level of your "freedom of speech".
Old 09-04-2007, 05:44 PM
TE Newbie

"We have as much right to call idiocy idiotic as others have to spout their idiocy in the first place."

no comment...

"It's called free speech - a hard-won right that is all too uncommon in the 'Middle East'."

Yes it is really a hard-won right, i know. But you didn't win it. Your ancestors worked too hard to get it. Its so pity that you dont even know the meaning of it my friend. But just start with learning some respect!. Thats the most important.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
TE Expert

To Olcay...

"Middle East means historically "the zone of interest" of the British which lead colonisation of the region and millions of deads !!!"

Heck...Through all my entire life I always thought it was Bush and his Jewish friends...
Now you Olcay, now you are telling me it were the British !!!

But...but... Brits are responsible for starving kids in Africa, holy cows in India, killing of princess Diana and poisoning Russian soldiers by delivering thousands of tons of 'tushonka' canned food to starving Red Army during WWII...
Sure... If you are a picky type of guy you can also remind us WHO really is responsible for global warming and who's responsible for intoducing a Chinese alphabet to the Chinese people...
C'mon...tell them...
Those damn Brits, but of course !!!

Enough for today...
If you really insist of throwing IDIOTIC accusations - I'll be back tomorrow to tell you who REALLY is responsible for WTC towers, hurrican Cathrina, ozone depletion in our atmosphere, earthquake in Peru, and a total collapse of world economy !!!

Regards, Olcay
Respectfully yours
george g.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
TE Junior Member

....apologies - mixed it up with Polynesia. Still not exactly Normandy, though.... (;o))
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM
TE Expert

Yes, Paul (rushfan2112) did a mistake; more precisely Guadeloupe is an island in the Caribbean. But his rationale is correct [we can mention, for example, New Caledonia in the Pacific]. If somebody browse TE and search Oceania or Central America for pictures of those islands, there's no photos! You have to go via "Earth >> Europe >> France >> Other".
With respect for the option or necessity of the technical features of the database (or some other reason), please allow me to say that this is totally nonsense. Even more when it's stated that locations are based on geography, not political, historical or cultural reasons. Indeed, the only reason to locate Guadeloupe, New Caledonia, etc, in Europe its because of the political fact that they are colonies of European countries.
That's my humble opinion. No big deal about this. The site is great, even if you place my country in the North Pole :-)
Francisco

New Caledonia
Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Please remove Middle East Region!! Guadeloupe et N-Caléd

Que la Guadeloupe et la Nouvelle Calédonie fassent partie politiquement - et sentimentalement - de la nation française ne devrait pas interdire de les placer à leur situation géographique, ce qui permettrait, notamment sur les cartes, de mieux situer les photos
Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Please remove Middle East Region!! - Caucase

Je n'ai pas d'opinion sur la présence ou non d'un ensemble dénommé "Proche-Orient" ou "Moyen-Orient", mais j'observe que tel qu'il est défini, il isole en "Asie" trois pays: l'Arménie, l'Azerbaïdjan et la Géorgie qui n'ont plus aucune contigüité avec ce continent et qui, de surcroît, sont tous trois membres du "Conseil de l'Europe" à Strasbourg...

Donc, ces pays du Caucase font "politiquement" partie de l'Europe tout comme Chypre et la Turquie, tous deux membres du "Conseil de l'Europe", Chypre appartenant à l'Union européenne et la Turquie négociant son adhésion!!