Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Please remove Middle East Region!!

Thanks Fransisco, im happy to see someone understood me here. I am really sorry for any impolite expression here i didnt want to mean so actually. Im not so good in English. The reason for !!s was for trying to extract attention to the subject only.

Middle East means historically "the zone of interest" of the British which lead colonisation of the region and millions of deads. Greater Middle East is trying to be defined nowadays. Personally i am irritated by this term. I hope you understand this is not an ordinary part of the world.

I enjoy the site!..I like it mainly because there are many experienced users here. But you should welcome new users for new ideas i believe, even most maybe annoying, or the site gets old and dies.

Sorry if i led any more rude misunderstandings with my poor English..and sorry for this boring post:)

0lcay
Old 09-03-2007, 12:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Not getting into the heart of the matter, it is always funny to me, being a programmer, when people who don't have the knowledge of IT use programming arguments in such discussions.
Actually I believe that from purely technical point of view such change shouldn't be very complicated, it's just the change of references in some countries from one region to another, and possibly regenerating of cached files (although I think this would be done automatically).

It reminds me of similar discussions about the performance issues of TE (some time ago), when some people suggested deleting big numbers of photos, which wouldn't really help at all.

What I mean by this post is to "warn" people from raising technical arguments without sufficient knowledge.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:59 AM
TE Junior Member

I hate to prolong this debate any longer but as a geographer I have always know this area in question to the Middle East. Whether it is a political naming convention or not politics does has a place in the definition of regions as well as other factors. Here is a link to the UN and you will see that the UN calls this area Western Asia. In my book just another name for the Middle East. As you will note Turkey is also included according to the UN. Not to go into any great detail but most of the countries identified by the name Middle East/Western Asia have similar linguistic characteristics and the predominate religion of the area is the same or similar. Lets just get over with it an accept the fact that geographers over time, countries over time, and organizations over time have defined these regions. With that said, it not to say they are always correct but arguing about it on a photo site is not going to change it one iota.

John
Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 AM
TE Newbie

is it that big of a deal? we all know where the middle east is - so its a useful classification for this site.

lately so many people have been up in arms about regional divides and classifications - that if TE were actually the real world I believe wars would have been started by now!

everyone just relax, post some RELEVANT photos, and enjoy rather than nitpick!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:18 AM
TE Junior Member

I second that!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 AM
TE Expert

Sure Antoni, I'm not a programmer just a network and telecom engineer and don't know much about database or programing. But there's been discussion about wrong country name or continent and in which Adam expressed the difficulties it would be for him to change those.
I was just referring to this.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:37 PM
TE Senior Member

This is ridiculous!
Olcay, whether you like it or not, the term Middle East is in everyday usage to describe the part of the world in which you live , in geographical, historical, as well as political contexts.
This is a photography site, not a place for your idiotic political rants.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:01 PM
TE Newbie

This is "at least" not kind...
Old 09-03-2007, 02:01 PM
TE Expert

Nobody has the right to identify somebody or somebody's ideas with the terms "idiotic", "ridiculous", etc etc...If someone has an idea about any topic he or she should answer politely.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:53 PM
TE Senior Member

We have as much right to call idiocy idiotic as others have to spout their idiocy in the first place.

It's called free speech - a hard-won right that is all too uncommon in the 'Middle East'.