Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Why now??

I just received the following message: Your photo titled, "Autumn Leaf" (photo1090662.htm) seems to violate the TrekEarth terms of service and therefore has been inactivated.
The reason is: Should be on TrekLens

I have been positing So many images SO similar to the one I posted today. There has never been a problem with my other images like this. Why now?? Are we being petty? I am not a member of Trek Lens
Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Why now??

That's the problem with the moderation on TE. It is too hit and miss leaving people puzzled. For an autumn leaf to remain on TE depends on two things:- 1. The note is sufficient to explain how the particular autumn leaf fulfils the TE mission ie 'learning about the world' 2. Whether the moderator actually sees the image in question. So many similar images remain purely because they are lost amongst the 1000s of images on the site.
Kath
Old 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Kath,
the image in question is that of a single autumn leaf. I have indicated that this is 'Nature'. In my notes accompanying the image I have also made it clear that I captured this in a park near my home because the changing colour of these leaves is to us in South Africa the first indication of Autumn. If this is not in some way about 'learning bout the world' I don't know what is. Just seeing a single Cherry blossom captured in a park in Japan would teach me personally something about life and the seasons in Japan?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 PM
TE Senior Member

James, photo inactivate is a bad and sade experience...
they said you cann argue with a link on the message you've recived; will your shoot come back?? but you must argue in this place, I thing you have much chance by an email to them as just argue on the forum...
sometime the different from yes or no to a photo is so lillte and not so well explain; for exemple if you write something on the photo (namme or place from what you shoot) you have lot of chance it will bee delette... but you don't see it writen! you must have this experience and write an email to have an answer tolding that!
(sorry for my bad english...)
Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 PM

I think Kath (feather) has hit the nail on the head. The problem isn't that the site is moderated and images removed, it's that the moderation is so hit-and-miss. I don't know what the solution is other than having many more moderators - and therefore even more opportunity for subjective opinion on what does & doesn't fit.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM
TE Expert

Hi James
Keith is right too. Not only is the moderating hit & miss, but whether or not an image fits the TOS can be subjective. As I didn't see it and the accompanying note I can't comment. If you genuinely feel you have a grievance write to [email protected] including a copy of your note. I think the decision will hinge on the note. I think Adam still deals with such matters. If that doesn't bring a response write to [email protected]
Good luck
Kath
Old 06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
TE Expert

My two cents...

Moderators scan the recently posted images for such TOS infringing photos. Close ups of flowers and leafs are more suited to TrekLens. I posted an image a few years back of a Canadian Maple Leaf on the pavement which was removed because it simply did not fit the TOS.

Bear in mind that for the moderators to turn a blind eye to such shots, essentially sets a precedent for more to be posted. Yes, there are other macro and leaf shots that have found there way past the mods, however that does not mean that the TOS are null and void. As with any member- you too are permitted to locate these shots and report them as a violation.

From someone who's had more then a few images removed- best of luck!
- Dan
Old 06-16-2009, 04:22 PM
TE Expert

Reviewing the other shots in your gallery James- they all seem to be scenic shots. I reckon the problem as you said was that the image was a single leaf (ie: too common an object) in that it really did not convey enough information to be suitable to TrekEarth.

All the best,
- Dan
Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 PM
TE Expert

I have to agree with Kath as well on the hit-and-miss comment.

Whether or not a single leave is TE material depends on the note and technical explanation on how you took the photo / post processed it. It's learning about the world, and about photography.

There is more than enough abstract work here that does not at all tell anything about the world. I at least try to tell something about photography in my abstract shots. And most of the time they are not deleted.

But why your specific photo was deleted? Or why no leafs? No idea. Then we can open the pets, street dogs/cats discussion again ;-).

Cheers, Dennis
Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Nothing is black and white, each moderator can have different opinions, or the same moderator may have a different opinions depend on his/her mood that day.

When you post something that is questionable and it is deleted, you shouldn’t be surprise and move on. In my opinion a macro shot of a single leave do belong in TN or TL, unless you include some of the landscape and other elements. Example I posted a few wildlife shots, but it was never a close up of just the animals, most of them show the environment, therefore suitable here as well as on TN. If it is a close up of just a certain body part and face of an animal which cover more than 50% of the image, than it’s 100% belong on TN only.

What to me is more interesting and more debatable is when you shot a portrait of someone you know. Example, I’m from Laos, and I took many photos of my relatives when I visited there. To me the way they live and their life style is very much fit the TE mission of “Learning about the World” but they are related to me so I can’t post it, but if others took the photo, than it is okay. Why, because I’m emotionally involved? I think those kinds of photos taken with keen sensitivity is more valuable to me. But I don’t expect the moderator to bend the rule for me. They have to draw a line somewhere. Because if they don’t, than we all can argue about how our photos of our relatives and pets teach us something about the world.

I have sneaked one in there because I think it is a good photo and I have a good story to go with it that make it suitable. Even than I don’t tell you who she is by spelling it out but by reading the story you do figure it out. And I don’t think the moderator read and every line of the note and figure it out. And if it is deleted, I would be okay with it. Life goes on. Post another photo.

Way
Closed Thread