Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Mass storage 'on the road' with CompactDrive PD7X

Hi Anh Thien:

Since we are shooting RAW, I am really concern on the file format support. I understand the tanker is just copy data from CF to HD. By reading the description of CompactDrive PD7X Image Tank Portable Storage it come to me another issue; the FAT (File Allocation table). Since XP came out, we computer users use more than one FAT format FAT16, FAT32, and the famous NTFS. I really don't know is this a really good to buy or recommended because I don't have one to play with.

Could you please give us some comparison, and shed some light before we walk into the market?

Thanks for all of your tips that I saved and learned.

Regards,

NgocSon
Old 12-20-2004, 02:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Mass storage of photos 'on the road'

Just to put my two cents into the conversation. After traveling with Thien, I can say that the PD7X is by far and away the best portable HDD/Card reader I have seen in action. It is much faster, seems to have a good system for verifying that transfers were successful and its batters last forever. It is also very solidly built and seems like it would be more durable than its competition. I will pick on up myself, no doubt about it.

BTW Thien, I take issue with your saying that you rarely shoot more than 2 photos of any one subject. With the hair trigger on your 1Dmk2, I often saw you knock off 4 or 5 shots at the presss of a button. That thing was like a machine gun ;)
Old 12-20-2004, 03:50 PM
TE Expert

Darren:

If I had you traveling with me then came back and revealed some secret (about knocking off 4 or 5 shots), I swear I will never go with you again :D

Let me make an excuse for Thien to return his kindness of helping me so much: when he said "no more than 2", I understood he gave me a subtle warning while on the move. Also, it is a general rule, not the law. Even he made a sin by saying no more than 2 than shot triple quantity, that's where a priest becomes necessary.

When I worked for the Associated Press covering the Vietnam War, the general rule was 3 shots of each subject (because they wanted to be sure if the eyes closed for example), and because the photo editor always cut and sent to New York Headquarters the main negative plus its left and right neighbors) but some times we ended up whole roll of 24-exp for one scene.

Anyway, I thank you for your confirmation that "the PD7X is by far and away the best portable HDD/Card reader". I am going to buy one for my coming trip.

Regards,

ngythanh
Old 12-20-2004, 05:15 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Ngythanh. Very interesting to hear you were a PJ during the Viet Nam War. I can't say that I envy you at all, but I am sure you have some stories to tell. Very interesting.

I was just having some fun with Thien (as I am sure you are aware). He is a really nice guy.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:16 PM
TE Expert

It's a shame about my past rather than I had much to tell.
People considered combat-photographers the most courage people but they forgot that there is an exception every where and I was one — I jumped out of the chopper with Marines first time on June 19, 1972 without any credential. Actually I was a young & stupid guy trying to catch up the lack of credit... by always moving up to the front line. Only lucky to be alive in one piece by the time the communists went to take over and dumped me to prison.

By that era, our language didn't have the terms like autofocus, program mode, 45 points eye-control, digital, gig, meg... Maybe people gave us bigger gap for errors than today. But we didn't have much chance to race behind technology as you are now doing. As a result, every one I meet today can be my trainer or teacher or master. And I am lucky again that they are so kind and nice to give a hand...

What else can I say than a sincere thank to each of you whom I met day by day?

Regards,
Old 12-20-2004, 10:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Son,

There are several logical drives formats out in the field. These are the breakdowns:

FAT12: Support drives up to 16MB. The FAT12 is rarely seen these days. Use mostly on floppy disks. Its adavantage is a really small cluster size so that there are less wasted spce.

FAT16: Support drives up to 2GB. Most mainstream consumer camera formats memory cards are using this format. Most of these cameras also limit the memory cards to 2GB max.

FAT32: Support drives up to 2TB. Any camera thats supports memory cards larger then 2GB must support FAT32.

NTFS: A logical drive format that theoretically does not have any size limit. No camera supports this format.

The notes regarding the PD7X FAT system is the support for the memory cards, not the FAT format of the harddrive that is in the PD7X. The harddrive in the PD7X is always formated as FAT32. However, there is two firmwares for the PD7X: the older one that supports memory cards with FAT12/FAT16 and the other support FAT16/FAT32. All of the new PD7X comes with the FAT16/FAT32 firmware if you buy it from the distributor http://www.compactdrive.net. If you buy it from other source, make sure that you get one with FAT16/FAT32 firmware. You can flash a FAT12/FAT16 PD7X to the FAT16/FAT32 with the firmware from the distributor site.

Cheers,
Thien
Old 12-20-2004, 11:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Ouch!, I need to get the knife of my back :D. Darren, you meant you knocked off 4-5 shots, I am much more experienced. Anyway, 5 shots within a second is still counted as 1 ;).
Old 12-21-2004, 06:26 PM
TE Newbie

A. Thien,

Thank for your info. I just bought a PD7X with a separate 2.5 Hard Drive off from Ebay as a Christmas present ………… for myself. Hopefully, Santa will knock on my door on the Dec 25th so I don’t have to wrap it up. Thank again.

SN
Old 12-21-2004, 10:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Son,

You might want to use the FAT format tool from CompactDrive to format your drive as it result in a smaller FAT. The reason for this, is everytime that it comes up from a cold boot, the PD7X will try to verify the FAT table and it takes shorter if you uses their tool.

Thien
Old 01-16-2005, 06:17 PM
TE Newbie

1GB in 10 minutes? Are you sure? That's roughly 125 photos (assuming 8MP RAW). Or 12 photos per minute. For a wedding? Unless you have some crazy business plan (or are a poor photographer), you only need to be able to produce 10 or so decent 8x10s during a wedding. Your shooting habits sound like overkill to me.