Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 AM
TE Expert

Default EOS 40D USER REPORT

Well I finally put my money where my mouth is and bought a Canon 40D.
I'm back in the warm embrace of Canon ;o)))

Everything I write here should be read against the looming shadow of the Great Unseen: the Nikon D300 which, on specs alone, would absolutely wipe the floor with the little D40. But the D40 will do me fine (until the arrival of the 5D II that is...) and here's why:

1. SPEED: this is the fastest responding Eos camera I've ever owned or played with for any length of time. The Eos philosophy of simplicity and eas-of -use is right there, you can feel it: LOOK, AIM, SHOOT - there is virtually no hesitation on the AF front - it's over in a blink. You almost have to be careful so quick is the response...

2. QUIET SHUTTER: this is a VERY quiet camera and for anybody shooting in the street at close quarters, it's a gift from heaven. Taking ambient street noise into the equation, you hardly hear the thing go off. Amazing...

3. BEST VIEWFINDER FOR SPECTACLE WEARERS: all the indications in the finder are highly visible even in bright sunlight, and that includes the ISO info permanently stamped there. This is new from Canon actually - going back to Eos 5 and Eos 7 days, high eyepoint considerations were never high on their list of priorities. Till now.

4. COLOR GRADATION: shooting in RAW you benefit from a genuine 14 bit processor and it shows up in fine color gradations. The Luminous Landscape guru, Michael Reichmann swears images from the 40D are as good and in some cases better than from the 5D (well I don't know if I'd go that far but...)

CONCLUSION:
Canon have proven (to me at least) once again that they excel at creating a no-thrills beast that is built from the ground up for shooters - it feels right, is extremely easy to use right from the start and quickly becomes an extension of your eye and hand. And at a reasonable price too. What else do you need?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:52 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: EOS 40D USER REPORT

well, have a good time with the new toy Emile! ;)
lets see how this 14 bit 'thing' works though, it seems trivial to me..

Best.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 AM

welcome back Francis ;)
my friend bought this 40D as well and after playing with it for a while I like it very much, great grip, very clear viewfinder information, liveView... a lovely camera. I can't wait for the 5DMkII.
and what lenses do you have? there is this lovely canon ef-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens that my friend have, it is like an L lens, excellent.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:08 AM
TE Expert

Back in the arms of EOS, my friend. Congratulations on your work with NEED, by the way - a perfect fit!
Lenses, well... I've got the weird new kit lens - 18-55 IS (not the greatest contrast or colour lo) but it's very light and has good IS capability, for now... I will porbably move back to the old 17-40L. Then I have a 28mm f1.8 for available light - it's very god on a crop body, and the 50 f1.4. For longer portraits I'm considering a 100 f2 this time rather than the 85 f1.8 I'm familiar with.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
TE Expert

you mean 135/2L? great lens Francis but huge..
Old 10-09-2007, 10:23 AM
TE Expert

No, I mean 100 f2.0, it's a sister lens to the excellent 85mm f1.8 (same size, same look, weight, price but with more reach). 135L is too big and heavy but a fantastic piece of glass.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Francis,
think about Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS - a fantastic piece of glass, just read the reviews... I'd love to have such lens on my 5D, I hope Canon will make lens like that for full frame cameras as well
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
TE Expert

Hey brother, I thought you HAD the equivalent on your 5: the famous 24-105 L with IS and all... Doesn't it compare...? Yes I hear great things about the 17-55 but... it is relatively bulky and expensive (compared to a 17-40) and it sucks dust during the push-pull, although a filter may fix that...
Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 PM
TE Expert

Emile brother,

all you need is.... 35f/1.4L! ;)) ill tell ya!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM
TE Expert

Yes, and brother Maciej would agree with you but...with full frame, not a crop cam...
We sit and wait for the 5D II, do we not?