Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2021-02-05 5:57

Hello Malgo,
Nice photo with wonderful colours and maybe slightly strange to see people walking away from land through the shallow water. At the end of the emerald green water, where we see the waves breaking, there is almost certainly a coral reef where they would perhaps go snorkeling to look for fish.
Kind regards,
Gert
PS BBC has also written about why Tanzania has no reported cases of Covid since May last year.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:29 PM
TE Expert

Talking To holmertz: No Covid in Tanzania

Hello Gert, I knew all this before going to Zanzibar. They make no tests, so they have zero cases of Covid. And when they have no Covid, so why they should buy vaccines. Simple. I have asked many people on Zanzibar, they do not know what is the reality. But they know that if there were reports about Covid cases, the tourists wouldn't come and it would be the catastrophe, like everywhere else. So on Zanzibar, all behave as if there were no virus. I haven't seen not even one mask.
Maybe I was senseless, reckless, foolish, unwise, whatever you call it, maybe just lucky, but I had fabulous holidays and I returned HEALTHY and happy.
have a nice evening

MAlgo
Old 02-05-2021, 04:54 PM
TE Expert

They decided to stop revealing the numbers in April or May. That's why there are no cases officially. The President claims that "God has saved Tanzania" from covid. But reports from around the country say that the hospitals are crowded and the staff cannot cope with the epidemic. Many people are dying, but officially from pneumonia or other illnesses.

It is quite possible that it's mainly the mainland that has been hit, and that things are different on Zanzibar, but it's hard to believe that the virus could be stopped just because it's an island, especially if there are no strict controls on entries.

I am glad that you had a great holiday and returned safely and in good health, but I do believe travelling to such places during a pandemic is unwise.

I learned from my job never to trust official statistics from countries in the so called developing world, especially those ruled by authoritarian regimes, like the present one inTanzania.

Cheers,
Gert
Old 02-05-2021, 07:28 PM
TE Newbie

Default unwise

Hello Gert!
Unwise!
Now I am curious what you write to other members who travelled in pandemic 2020
Eg.
mkamionka in Greece,Poland, England
Tue in Germany, Poland, Czechia
Maybe some others.
Sorry I don`t want to offend you both!
I`m glad that they returned they all returned healthy, but
I guess staying mainly at a beach in Africa is less dangerous than having many transfers, staying in diferrent hotels and walkling through big, crowded european cities.
Regards,Ronny
Old 02-05-2021, 07:53 PM
TE Expert

Hi Malgo and Gert,

Coincidentally I know a fellow countryman who is married to a Tanzanian woman. They live in Belgium.
Her brother and cousin died of COVID-19, very early in the pandemic. Apparently there were infections in Tanzania quite early.
They both lived on the mainland, not on Zanzibar.

It is of course possible that the country has overcome COVID-19.
But with the limited resources available in this poor African country, that would be a very remarkable thing. It's not New Zealand.
I don't know how intense the connections are between the mainland and Zanzibar ... But it is one country and recently I read that the virus had also reached some of the smaller remote Pacific islands. A sea doesn't stop it.

Anyway, Malgo you returned home safe and sound.
That's the most important thing.

All the best!
Paul
Old 02-06-2021, 06:12 AM
TE Expert

Hello all,

There are various sources of information, not only official. In Matemwe, we stayed in the hotel whose owner is my son's school friend. We took his children with us from Warsaw. He knew the situation in the place. In Paje, I also stayed in the hostel run by a Polish woman and I exchanged the mails with her. Also, I read a long interview with the Polish ambassador in Dar es Salaam. And they all didn't notice anything disturbing in Zanzibar. In the same time, the situation in Poland is still very difficult. Since autumn, we have had around 400 deaths every day. And I must somehow live - to make shopping, or to go to the centre from time to time. So my concern was rather about my husband who stayed at home and had to do this.

have a nice safe weekend
MAlgo