Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Medium Format Films

I would like to seek advise on choice of film for medium format photography.

I just bought a used Mamiya 645 and made some test shots using the 120 Kodak PRO160. Am using the camera without the CdS or AE Prism Finder so I am not able to choose the ASA for film sensitivity. My question is, is it ok for me to use the ASA 400 without the ASA dial and just adjust my aperture or shutter speed controls accordingly?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Medium Format Films

Hi Alex,

I too recently purchased a Mamiya 645 Pro-TL. For black and white I use Kodak TMAX 100 (I do my own negative development as well), and for color I initially used Fuji 160 and Kodak Pro160. I personally prefer the Kodak film (the VC variety).

You should be able to adjust the ISO to 400 even if you don't have an AE finder - this would be 'pushing' the film. This is what I would recommend - and when you have the roll developed tell the developer what you did.

Good luck - and try some practice rolls first!

Ron.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Medium Format Films

Hi Ron, thanks for your good advise. Since then I've exposed at least ten rolls and the outcome are really good. i just use 1/500 for the ISO400, 1/250 for ISO200 and 1/125 for ISO100 and adjust the aperture according to light intensity. It has been fun learning from it and the next step is get some new lenses and learn developing BW films.

Rgds, and all the best!

Alex