Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-30-2003, 11:55 AM
TE Newbie

Default digital camera battery life

I hope it is OK to post equipment questions in this forum. I got some film developed today and again gritted my teeth at the cost and have again started seriosuly considering digital (which for the cost of the film I will use between now and christmas I can easily afford if I upgrade my film equipment) and so far the main thing that is putting me off is the potential battery life. I want an SLR type design like the minolta Dimage 7, or Nikon coolpix 5700. The Minolta uses AA batteries - what is the battery life of rechargables like? And what about the battery life of the batery that comes with the Nikon? The last thing I want to do is not be able to take a days or twos worth of photos - how has anyone else coped (like a lot of things I gues it takes some getting used to.

Any other reccomendations for an SLR type design digital? Or if anyone can convince me about any others?
Thanks
Old 10-30-2003, 12:25 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: digital camera battery life

Batteries are something you are definately going to have to address when going digital! Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydrides are a MUST! The higher the capacity the better! Don't even consider alkalines.

I have a Minolta Dimage 7 that I dearly love, BUT it eats batteries for breakfast! I guess from what I understand, the Dimage 7 series is tougher on batteries than most cameras, but it does use standard AA size which are redily available. I always carry one set of batteries in the camera and 2 extra sets with me. All freshly charged before a trek.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:47 PM
TE Expert

It really depends a lot on how you use your camera. Do you use the electronic viewfinder a lot than your battery life suffers a lot. The same goes for the flash. I didn't buy the Minolta because battery life seemed very short and you were forced to carry a certain amount of spare batteries (but that is now more than a year ago). The battery of my Sony gives me an autonomy of approximatively 3 hours shooting and that represents between 100 and 200 pictures.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:11 PM
TE Newbie

Like they said, batteries will be a concern when going digital. But the solution is to carry around extras. if the camera takes AA batteries then that is a plus IMO since rechargable AA's are much cheaper than proprietary batteries. Buy at least 2000mAh batteries (AA), the more the better and recharge often, make sure you buy a fast recharger around 2h or less per charge, if it takes all night to reload a set of batteries then you might not be able too keep up during a photointensive weekend.

But most of all DON'T let worries about batteries stop you. Digital photography is much more hassle free than film photography. Once you go digital, I am sure you won't be looking back... I know I didn't.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:16 PM
TE Senior Member

Here is a web page <a href=http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/page11.asp>battery life<a/>
that gives the battery life for different kinds of batteries. This really helped me choose the camera I wanted.
There are several very good camera review sites I highly recommend the following ones:
www.steves-digicam.com
www.imaging-resource.com
www.dpreview.com
www.megapixel.net

DPreview has a very interesting comparative review on the same page between the DImage 7HI, the Nikon 5700 and the Sony F717, look at:
<a href=http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/page18.asp>comparative<a/>
Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 PM
TE Expert

Mattias is right...Carry lots of spares and a fast recharger. I just read of the Minolta Dimage 1 and it is very, very positive. I I can sell my Sony I think I'll go for it. I am not so sure about "not looking back" once you're in digital. I still use my old Minolta from time to time, but less and less - too bulky and too heavy if you want to take all your lenses.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:25 PM
TE Junior Member

I own a CP5700, have two batteries. Need 1.5 battery per day so 2 are OK. Charger is very small and light.
All depends on how much you shoot and if you use the lcd a lot. If you shoot very much (camera on 80% of the day) 3 batteries will make it for the day.

Battery life is NOT a hassle for me.

In fact, except for long hollidays without a PC to discharge your pictures on, memory card is more of an issue (easily solved by buying memory cards (if you have the money), or reducing the size and quality of your pictures (if you don't have the money)).
Don't buy less than a 256 Meg (100 high quality pictures on the CP5700), buy a hi-speed one, it makes a real difference.

If you like the idea of manual focus or low light picture, you might be better off choosing the sony SLR than the CP5700.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:32 PM
TE Junior Member

"I want an SLR type design like the minolta Dimage 7, or Nikon coolpix 5700".
The SONY F 717 is of the same type, but as with the Minolta and the Coolpix, you will view what your lens sees on an electronic view finder. Judging focus and DOF is NOT as easy as with a real SLR camera (Canon 10D, etc...). Their prices have gone down, so, it might be interesting to compare and consider going for a real improvement. Regarding battery life, I can only tell about my own experience with the F-717. A full charge gives me around 200 pics (2560x1920, fine). I use the LCD for about 60% of the time. It turns off automatically when using the electronic finder.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:43 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks alot guys - I am a step closer to making the investment. Thanks for the info and I will look up some of the models and sityes some of you have mentioned - cheers!
Old 10-30-2003, 03:44 PM
TE Senior Member

I've got a 3-4 year old digital and don't find battery life to be an important issue. I get 125-150 shots per set of 1800 mAh NiMH AAs. That's like being able to shoot four rolls of film without the film changes. Some days I have to change batteries once. I carry a third set but don't ever remember using them.

I have a fast charger, plug in one set when I get back to my room. They usually charge in an hour or less, then I stick my totally used-up set in before I go to sleep.

If you have a question about a particular camera check www.dpreview.com. If Phil has written a full review about that camera check the 'Timings and Sizings' page. You'll get a good idea of what to expect. Newer digitals have vastly increased the number of shots per charge. I noticed that one of the Casios will take around 600 shots per charge.

(Take a look at the Minolta A1 - I'm impressed.)

BTW, if you need lots of storage check out portable hard drives and portable CD burners. Purchasing lots of memory cards is very, very expensive.