Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

ronners 2007-04-25 21:37

Well, orange and blue will always work Bob - well spotted. I'm still trying to figure out whether this actually was taken late in the day or not. The shadows seem pretty horizontal, but that in itself isn't a great guide here as the guys are so close to the boat. The sea of orange certainly gives a strong impression of a late afternoon shot, so even if it isn't you've done a good job of faking it ;)

The part of the composition that kind of troubles me is the shallow DOF. A scene like this depends on a sense of place, so using the shorter DOF to blur out the foreground makes the shot lose something. Isolating the subject like this gives the impression of the use of a long lens to 'spy'. As a result, I've added a workshop which goes for a different crop - there's no rule that says you have to keep the image that your camera gave you. The workshop loses the environment and instead becomes more of a color study - I just thought it would be interesting to see what else you can do with the image.

Finally - what purpose is served in scraping rust off a ship's hull? Do they simply do it for aesthetic reasons?

Join the Critique Circle

Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To ronners: Orange and blue.

Late in the day. Rust + 'the golden hour' working together. (Don't think I've got the skills to fake it.)

I'm not seeing what you're seeing with 'shallow DOF'. Do you mean the dark area to the right should also be in focus? (If so, I'm afraid that I don't agree.) And that speaks to your crop.

Without the dark area on the right the image is too much "in your face" for me. I need a bit of something other than 'bright' to settle the scene down. But thanks for the look.

Scaling off the rust - what's not in the frame is a guy off to the left who's putting on a fresh coat of gray paint with a roller. They need to get off the old paint and scale as it can trap water under the paint and further rust the hull.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To ronners: Orange and blue.

Ah, if they are repainting that makes sense... My point refers to the slightly blurred water in the foreground. As far as the composition is concerned, I'm definitely finding myself increasingly in the 'less is more' camp (after spending time trying to figure out why I like certain photos and not others). In this image, I don't need the rope, and I don't need the background - to me personally its somewhat stronger without those parts.