Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 11:51 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: ND Grads

Agree with Ben here with the use of hard and soft ND Grads.

I just want to suggest Hitech NDGrads instead of Cokin's. I'm using the Cokin P Holder w/ the Hitech NDGrads and it fits very well.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 AM

I agree with the suggestion for HiTech filters. They fit Cokin P holders and from my experience do not have any colour cast. The Cokin NDs I used had a distinct purple cast which was impossible for me to correct.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 AM
TE Junior Member

I would guess that technically speaking since it's easier to recover underexposed areas than overexposed ones, it would make more sense to go for the darker ND grad. In reality a 2-stop works pretty well for me though - if you have such a huge range of luminosity then you may well be shooting at the wrong time of day ;)

I recently 'upgraded' from a Cokin ND to a Singh-Ray 2 stop soft grad. It's too early to say much about the quality, but the experience so far is that the Singh-Ray definitely doesn't have that color cast. In general if using a Cokin filter you should be working toward a final image in B&W, or a color image where the tint isn't important to what you are trying to achieve.

Ron.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Gani.
I didn't realise the Hitech filters fit the P holder. That's good news. I think I'll look into that option. I apreciate you taking the time to help.
Best regards, Steve.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
TE Senior Member

These Cokin P holders, how do you know they fit your lens ? Do you have to look for specific sizes (as with filters)
or well, how do they work and attach to your lenses ?
Do you need a few holder if you have different sizes of lenses..or can you use some adapters?

I'm also interested in ND Grad's..they are not very common on eBay though, I believe..also not in the Dutch webshops which offer filters..so I got to spend some time searching for a proper site I believe.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:15 PM

With all of the slot in filter systems, not just Cokin, you have one holder and adaptors to suit the thread size of the various lenses. If you swap between 2 lenses with different thread sizes on a regular basis it is worth considering having 2 holders.
Some people have commented that HiTech filters are sometimes a bit tight in Cokin P holders. If that is a problem then rubbing one edge on very fine sand paper / emery paper will fix it.