Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
TE Expert

Default What happens to all the pictures you take?

This may sound like a silly question but bear with me. Since discovering the Trek sites I take pictures with the TE,TL & TN in mind. It's what motivates me and the reason I have very recently invested in a Canon 400d. So, besides family photos I go looking for shots to upload on these sites.But since we are only allowed to upload one per day, what to do with some of the rest. To be honest, at the moment this is just a theorectical question for me as I take loads but only a tiny percentage are worth showing. But just saying that, others of you must have lots of good pictures, have been iinto photography for a long time, so what do you do with them? It seems a shame to have them just hiding away on your computer. What projects, schemes or other avenues do you have for displaying and sharing your creativity? ( I'm aware of Flickr and Pbase).I would be fascinated to hear from you.
Bev
Old 05-17-2007, 06:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: What happens to all the pictures you take?

Hi Bev.
Good question. Personally I'm collecting them! He he. Hope to do something serious some day. But on the other hand, yes we can only upload 1 per day, but I don't get to shoot every day, so the series I shot last week will last me with all 3 sites till I can get out again. like you, I've been influenced the same way when looking for subjects and setting up compositions that are Trek Friendly. Hope this goes some way to answering this interesting question. thanks for the thread.
Best regards, Steve.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Bev,

Yes, a good question indeed. In fact, I'd never given it much thought. I guess if I'm honest I'm working toward the holy grail of taking the best shots of locations/people/things that appeal to me. A lot of my work falls into the category of 'learning and experimenting', and so isn't worth displaying or sharing because I'm not really all that happy with it.

The question then arises - when does my work move beyond mere 'fluff'. Maybe when the Weston Galley is begging to represent me...

Cheers,

Ron.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 AM
TE Senior Member

Hey, Bev. Good question.
I delete and delete and delete and delete. (Whole folders of stuff) Not only do I have the shots I took, I have the ones I edit and try to perfect. I might have 4, 6, 10 of the same shot on different settings. I need a major house cleaning of flowers, landscapes, strangers... I am so disorganized, too. That stuff is all over my PC. LOL All those programs that claim to make it soooo easy to organize and find photos? Didn't plan them with me in mind. I find deletion to be a good start. Hope you're feeling better. Take care,
Shelly
Old 05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
TE Expert

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been having a big spring clean. This far in as a Trek member I recognise a lot of my pictures for what they are....rubbish! and have been deleting. Its quite cathartic.I would do the same for many of my Trek pictures too except that is probably cheating and not in the spirit of the thing. My problem is that I am always tempted to upload shots that in my heart of heart I know are not so fantastic but I can't resist just to see what the response is. I have exercised a little self discipline recently as I have not been able to get out to take more and know I shouldn't upload the remainder dregs. Still coughing (thanks for asking Shelley)but I will try and get out this weekend.
Do any of you make prints of your personal favourites and put them up on the wall? Other than one of my dog ( yuk yuk lol) I haven't done this, as a favourite one week is deadly boring the next. But even so, your own pictures must be an interesting alternative to shop bought stuff.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 AM
TE Senior Member

hi bev,
i delete and delete and delete ... as a matter of fact i delete a lot more then i deleted half year ago and expect to delete even more drastically from now on :) ... what's left i burn on cd's ... but i already know that i hardly use old images -it's good having them though, just in case :) ... i'm very hard to please photography-wise these days and hope to be even more ... regarding my own work, at least.

what i printed so far, not too much anyway, were the prints i promissed to some of the people i photographed - nothing for myself just yet - and i still have issues with monitor calibrating and alike - no point in printing while i'm not sure with technicalities.

just my 2 cents,
dora

ps: hope your flu's almost gone by now
Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
TE Expert

Thanks Dora,
I'm not exactly at death's door but I am very frustrated, ony having been out with my new camera a couple of times or so since I got it. Living and working in a small town it's not politic to go out and about if you are off work sick as curtains would twitch. Otherwise i would be tempted to be out with my camera in one hand and a tissue in the other!
I am deleting a lot of stuff but I like to keep a folder of pictures for each time i go out. Even if I delete a lot from the folder, what remains is a photo diary. Looking back over the previous year it is a nice way to remember the trips I have taken both locally and further afield.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
TE Senior Member

They are stored on my harddrive and I look them over from time to time, sometimes show a pack to friends when they are at my place. I then start a slideshow and let it run on the background.

Further I seek to shots worth adding here in time, process them and post them. Nothing more at the moment..so yeah I have a bunch of photo's that are quite 'hidden'. But lot's of them are probably not worth to be seen anyway :) Maybe I'll do something on flickr or pbase someday, but not yet, don't have time for it either, TE is enough for now :) I still have a lot to learn.

I've also been cleaning a while ago (due to new personal standards), but I haven't finished, I should do that though, but well, as it's my PC it doesn't bother anyone further. But it's nice to have a tight collection :-)

I also save the best shots on my SD cards for a long time, in case something would happen to my PC (harddisk crash ie.) and it's nice to show them to others when I have the camera with me.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Hiya Bev.

A few things strike me here:

Firstly, some of us shoot for this site. Others shoot what we want and post some of the content on here. I fall into the latter category. As memory is cheap (and getting cheaper) I keep almost everything I take. Even if I'm not happy with 100% of any given image, I keep it as I believe might possibly salvage some part of it as useful.

Secondly, I used to shoot like a "machine-gunner" but I try to be more of a "sniper" these days. Therefore, I take fewer and, I hope, better images that I used to. Therefore, I don't take as many as I used to.

Lastly, although I take my camera with me to most places (even commuting!) I try to plan my shoots in advance - so I'm not just collecting photos for the hell of it. I'm in London tomorrow afternoon (no, not interested in the FA Cup Final so long as Man Utd lose!) so I've got few ideas where I want to shoot.

What I don't bin goes into a 250Gb external hard drive (70) and gets backed up onto a DC-Rom.

Kind regards (and get well soon),

Paul
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Bev,
I have a multiply account which I post many of my pictures (especailly ones that I can't here due to being family members and others that just aren't as good but may be interesting for friends/family). I also still make photo albums with hard copies of my images (a little "old-fashioned" I suppose, but I enjoy looking over hard copies as well).
Amber