Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2019-03-22 18:10

Hello Elvira,

I've been away from TE for a few days so now I really must catch up with your photographs from Sri Lanka! I do hope that you had a successful, happy and safe trip there and back home and managed to enjoy yourself to the full - as well as taking lots of fine photographs!

As always, you have written an interesting note and given us a beautiful photograph to admire. I gad always thought that betel nut was used by these people much like tobacco was used in the west and chewed as a mild stimulant: I didn't realise that it was thought to have any medicinal properties.

I love how this fellow is giving you such strong eye contact! I'm sure it's not a sign of aggression, just a look of interest, and I'm sure that you must have communicated with him while you were taking this picture.

You have captured him perfectly, clearly and sharply as he leans over his stall and the produce he has to sell. A well composed image with lovely soft light, true colours and exceptional details and clarity.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: Back home with lots of pictures

Hello john,
thanks for your kind remarks. Sri Lanka was the first country I ever visited in Asia, an the trip turned out to be full of new experiences and surprises. A bad surprise was that I'm not fit enough to stand the climate! I suffered from the heat and humidity, and so I missed some of the most important sights, because for instance Sigiriya, the "Lion Rock", was too steep to climb for me. But I am very satisfied with my photos of streetlife, fishermen, colorful monks, schoolgirls in white uniforms and the many temples. Thousand year old ruins are impressive, and important for the national pride of Sri Lankan people, but I'm glad with my photos which show how different every day's life is in Asia.
And about betel: yes, of course it is used like a mild drug, but I didn't want to mention it. Our guide talked about chewing betel with disgust, and was eager to convince us there is a better reason to cultivate it!
Have a nice weekend,
Elvira