Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 05:03 AM
TE Newbie

Default Waterproof Digital Camera

Hi, I wish to have a all weather camera which I could carry every where without any hassle. I search on the net and found colympus uj1030 good but its photo reviews are not good. It also has wide lens(28mm) and small enough to be put in pocket (does not have lens coming out). Any suggestions for a good tough camera which i can use in rain and dust without any hassle? Also, one more requirement is optical eye-piece (it saves lot of battery).
Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Waterproof Digital Camera

Hi there,
I just got an Olympus Tough6000 camera which is supposed to be waterproof up to 3 meters and shockproof up to 1.5 meters. The first one I got I had to take it back to the shop after the very first try in a spa, it got water from all around after just one hour. I got a new one and it seems to be alright, successfully completed the first underwater spa-test. Let's hope for the best.
The picture quality is not as good as with other compact cameras, but its advantages make me forget this. I really like that I can just drop it next to me in the sand at the sea, and when everyone else is packing away their cameras when the rain comes, I just switch to this small compact one.
Before this Tough6000 I had a Pentax Optio VP, again waterproof. Well, it got water from time to time, but I used it for 2 years.
Cheers,
Nelli
Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi

you can use the canon D10 A NEW ONE. 10 meters under watter, but only a 35 mm.... Quality is "au rendez vous"

kind
Old 06-05-2009, 07:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default Waterproof Digital Camera

I have been using a Pentax Optio W30 in the past two years. I am quite happy with the camera and I had the chance to test it in various conditions. In the meantime, Pentax has released a new one, W60. I played with it too, but never had the chance to bring it under water.
As far as I know, all waterproof cameras come without an optical viewfinder. But thinking about it, it would not help you anyway. Whan you bring the camera in the water, there is no way you can use the optical viewfinder, anyway. It is too small and hard to use.
About Pentax W30:
Pro: Fair image quality; good film quality (with sound, limited only to the size of the memory card); decent focusing speed in good light. Also, you can use the zoom when you record a movie.
Cons: The noise made by the focusing/zooming mechanism is quite strong and it records in the movie.
There is no way to focus in reduced light (like parties) and the camera does not have a focus light.
I am sure part of these have been fixed for the new models, but I personally think Pentax is a better choice than Olympus. I am selling Olympus and I know what I'm saying! (oops!)
Old 06-05-2009, 07:02 PM
TE Newbie

Default Correction

Sorry, not all waterproof cameras are without optical viewfinder. i just remembered a few that have.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:08 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Santinder,

Also eyeing for one. Check out this link: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209waterproofgroup/page15.asp">Waterproof camera group test
Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
TE Newbie

Hi, nearly two years ago I upgraded from my point and shoot to an Olympus E-3 with a 12mm to 60mm and 50mm to 200mm lens system. The package is weather tight including the lens. I have taken shots in heavy rains and at Victoria Falls with zero issues. All other travelers using typical SLRs from Canon and Nikon ran for cover while I stood and got great shots. You may want to check out the Olympus E-3. Since Olympus uses a full frame 4/3rds format the other advantage is that a 200mm lens is equal to a 400mm lens in the 35mm format.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi, check the waterproof camera test, maybe you can find what you need. From this test, personally Id go for the Canon D10, as the functionality can be vastly improved by CHDK. D10 is not supported by CHDK yet, but I believe its only a matter of time. Then I will consider buying the D10 too (for underwater photography).
Good luck!
Adrian
Old 12-27-2009, 06:34 PM
TE Newbie

You can find good info on waterproof digital cameras here.