Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kokoro-zukai 2009-10-20 22:14

Hello Urs,

I have been to a "Little India" in Singapore, looks similar atmosphere though I can't compare to what you have in Thailand, though looks lentiful and more colouful!

I'm a food fanatic perhaps enjoying much of the exotic dishes in Asia, the Thai, Malaysian, Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine can be much enjoyed almost everywhere. Here in Hong Kong we have small Indian communities mostly in Tsimshatsui, in Kowloon district. A huge apartment block called Chunking Mansion below caters to many Indian nationals who have similar business both in retail and food. The atmosphere, sights and smell that combines lighted incense and food fills the air and realising suddenly you're in a different world.

Westerners [except Brits] and the local people I've known do try Indian cuisine from time to time, but hardly in these particular places. They dine instead at fine Indian 'gourmet' restaurants in Central. I don't mind the experience as long as they are hygienic and well prepared. We have this place near Lan Kwai Fong called "Rat Alley" along Wing Wah Lane towards the end of the alley numerous Asian eateries that serves excellent Indian Curries red & green with freshly made pita bread. Not to mention the ice cold beer the goes with it!

Cheers!

Keiji

Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 AM
TE Expert

Default To kokoro-zukai: Bangkok's textile heaven

Dear Keiji

Singapore cannot be compared with Bangkok's Little India, but Penang can. However the atmosphere is different, in Bangkok it is more Punjabi and Sikh, while in Penang it is Tamil. It's different music, movies and food. Penang littel India is bigger then the one in Bangkok. Hong Kong is completely different, there you can get almost everything for a price. Chunking Mansion I know, some of the eateries there are authentic, others have adopted to HK taste. Lan Kwai Fong is a bit more upmarket, but you rather get there the real taste. Even in Bangkok you have to know which Indian eatery has an authentic taste, many adapted to Thai taste. Interesting that you mention a pita bread in conjunction of a Indian curry. Generally you eat a curry in India with rice or chapati, Indians do not have a pita bread. Thanks for the critique

Best regards
Urs
Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Pita

Hello Urs,

You have so much knowledge on the different Indian cultures, the different Indian tribe of people on different regions. I didn't know any, very interesting to learn from you.

Yeah strange for me to say but I did have pita bread on the side, the curries must have been Malaysian. The man who prepared the bread was Indian and the food was very good...I was sweating from the spices! That reminds me to bring my friends later there tonight.

Have A Great Weekend!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Pita

Hi Keiji

When you go there ask for a paratha or chapati instead of the pita. A paratha is stuffed, mostly with potatoes, a chapati is plain. If they have tandori on the menue, ask for tondori chicken with nan plain, onion pickles and some vegetable curries, that is a very famous and well loved dish.

Enjoy the food

Have a great weekend
Urs
Old 10-23-2009, 04:53 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Food Suggestion

Dear Urs,

You're getting me into trouble of heading there this lunch time!!!

I'll feast and take note of this suggestion ;)

Always

Keiji
Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Food Suggestion

Dear Keiji

Hahaha no intention to get you into troubles, just suggesting some Indian food, as I know, many Japanese really love it. I do not know the reason, but even in India, I have seen countless Japanese, not the middle aged and older one, to dig into their Indian food in front of them with great pleasure.

Turn the weekend into a food festival ...

Cheers Urs