Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 05:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Default critques

still trying to figure this out.

When am on i give out critques on photos
put good notes on my own, get plenty views but seem not to gaining any more critques on mine.

Are my pictures getting worse or of lesser interest?

Its difficult to gauge with so little action

I look at other photos of similar types and see flowing ravings and genuine comments

Is it the time of day i post them at?
Or just the content?

Cheers for any comments on this thread :)

John
Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: critques

The basics are quite simple John, you wrote 57 critiques and received around 70, so you are getting back more than you are putting in. Flowing ravings reward remarkably images or, more often, are politely exchanged between a group of online friends. You will need to either bring your images to the level of "remarkable" or integrate into a group of photographers who exchange critiques. Both options require a bit more time, but are certainly achievable. Hope this helps.
Roland
Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Cheers Roland

it helps so if i snuggy up to a group of people i am more likely to receive critques.

I am more looking for the comments on aspects to improve the shots as all you guys seem to have been at this quite some time :)

Ta

John
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 PM

If all you care about is amassing points then go ahead and 'snuggle up' to a select group of members. Your point count will sky rocket irrespective of what your image is like, but you will gain absolutely no knowledge or inspiration from the 'critiques' received.
On the other hand, if you actually do want genuine critiques keep on as you are doing. Look for images which catch your interest or attention and critique those. It will take time to get feedback, but the feedback you do get will be far more meaningful. It is certainly true that the more critiques you give the more you will receive. That isn't a case of 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours', rather an ever widening mutually supportive group.
If somebody critiques my work I will often look at theirs. If I see something I want to comment on I will do, but I certainly don't feel any under any obligation to do so.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Keith

points mean nothing on the scheme of things its the sharing knowledge that is of more interest to me.

So i will trundle along giving workshops and critques as i see them and here's hoping guys will see their way to giving me some more tips :)

John
Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 AM
TE Junior Member

Really meaningful critiques are rather scarce these days, and if you aim for quality critiques you might have to give up on quantity. But a really useful critique once in a blue moon can help a lot. You should probably provide the type of critiques you'd like to receive, and thinks will sort themselves out on their own.
Roland
Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Hey guy thanks for all the replies :)

I have taken remedial steps with posting more critiques and with all the guys popping on to my photos for a look it has given me some extra food for thought

Some very helpful critiques given. Exactly what i was looking for

Cheers again

John