Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Roly 2009-09-29 20:25

I like the warm colors and the subject matter but am somewhat puzzled by the high grain, or better said, noise. It does resemble a bit a water color painting. The composition is interesting, I would have probably tried to avoid the inclusion of the corner of the building in the frame, but am not convinced that the result would have been better. Your hotel suggestion comes just at the right time and I might make use of it next week.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To Roly: Noise

Thanks Roland for your comments.
I agree about the noise, it was taken at 640 ISO, and a 30 seconds exposure. As for the composition, the fact that I didn't have a tripod and had to put the camera on a cement post at waist height limited the way I could compose the shot. I tried to crop the image to cut the corner but it didn't work, it looked too flat. As for the "water color painting" this photo was not processed, the colors are natural, as it looked on site. Hotel Bernardi has a website (www.hotelbernardi.com) where you can have a look at their rooms and make a reservation on line. For our bedroom in the annex, with private bathroom, two beds, the cost was 90 Euros per night. On the website it is shown on the third photo on the first line.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Roly: Noise

Thank you for the recommendation Nina, I found it very useful and ended up spending two nights at Hotel Bernardi. The prices are very competitive given the location in Cannaregio, and the quality is very good. Our two-bedroom suite was located on the first floor above the canal in your picture, opposite to the yellow building. The only draw-back was that wireless Internet was only available at the reception, in a different building and only until midnight.
Roland
Old 11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
TE Senior Member

glad you enjoyed your stay at hotel bernardi. we were also in the annex building but on the second floor in a very nice room. true that unfortunately internet was only available at reception but considering that at hotels at this price in venise they usually dont even have internet, i could live without it for a few days. sorry for typing in minuscule letters only. i broke right shoulder 3 weeks ago and am typing with left hand only. i will look at your photos of venise with great pleasure.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM
TE Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, I hope it recovers quickly. Yes indeed, we were on the second floor as well, I just counted in European fashion: ground floor, first floor... I intended to visit Burano as well, after seeing some images posted here, but the two days I spent there didn't allow me to fit it in. Next time.