Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-10-20 5:59

Hello Gert,
I visited the Haji Ali Dargah in the evening.
There was multicoloured lighting of several buildings and there was something magical about the place. Few foreign visitors but many pilgrims.
On the other hand, this was perhaps the place in Mumbai where I was most confronted with extreme poverty.
In the meantime, for some reason, I forgot the many sellers visible in your photos. Maybe because I'm usually not that interested in buying. But I still remember the many beggars and the poverty well.
In these photos taken during the day, this place seems to have lost all of the magic I thought I experienced that evening. I'm convinced that in 1988 this area was even more shabby than when I was there in 2017. Or is it the clear daytime view that is playing tricks on me?
In a way, these photos are a bit of a sobering up for me from my memories.
This is of course no less reason to visit the Haji Ali Dargah.
You might understand what I mean if you look at my photo (and the two in the WS) again: https://www.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=7&p=1551118
As for the walkway: No idea how effective its elevation is. In your pictures the path seems to me like the situation as I saw it. Only I was there in the evening in the semi dark.
Your second photo in the WS shows the entrance to the shrine. I seem to remember that there was even more rubbish lying around there than in your picture.
You weren't much impressed by the mausoleum. I totally understand that. I was more impressed by the atmosphere there.
Your photos show more of the walkway to the shrine. A long path that didn't have the slightest hint of magic during my visit. I even think that I tried not to stand out too much as a wealthy foreigner. Something I thought about more when I walked there than in other places in Mumbai.
In any case, very interesting to see your photos and read your experiences.
Best regards, Paul

Old 10-20-2021, 02:37 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: more or less shabby?

Thank you Paul,
I had of course seen the photos you posted earlier, but thanks for reminding me. It certainly looked very different at night, with all those colours, even more kitschy than I found the mausoleum in daylight. But I see from your WS that the entrance gate looked extremely much nicer than in my WS2. It was definitely more shabby in 1988.

Whether the long walkway has been restored and elevated is an open question. I must have been there during low tide, so I thought the entire road would be fully flooded at high tide. It's usually written everywhere that the sanctuary can only be reached at low tide. But maybe that is only if you are afraid of getting a bit wet. There are films on the net showing people walking happily through great splashes of water at high tide.

Photos on the net taken from the sides, or from high above, seem to show the road being fairly high above the water at high tide, but those were taken on very calm days.

Best regards,
Gert