Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM
TE Newbie

Default Lowepro AW200 or ....

Hi Guys!
Im in search of a proper camera bag..something that has compartments for my 400D and 3-4 lenses. The most important thing is that i can put it on like a backpack. I have been looking around the Lowepro backpack with 2 straps for 2 DSLRs is too expensive at (107 GB pounds).
Does anyone have any experience with the AW200? if so, pros and cons? does the one strap thing worlk? and WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO ABOUT YOUR TRIPOD??? i strap it to my eastpak but i would be able to that with a camera backpack....
Or does anyone have any recommendations for any other brand? im looking at spending up to 70 pounds GB.
Cheers!
Paul
Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Lowepro AW200 or ....

Paul,

I have a slingshot AW300 from Lowepro and I love it. I often walk all day with it slung over one shoulder and fastened around my waist. It is sometimes uncomfortable if the camera is in the bag for too long but I typically have the camera out so it works very well that way. Being able to access the contents without having to take it off or set it down works well for me.

Greg
Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM
TE Expert

can you fit in 2 Nikon bodies (D70s and D300) in the slingshot AW300?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 PM
TE Expert

A guarded yes, I have the body mounted and the lens sticking down (across), and an 80-400 and a 12-24 in the main compartment and it is not full but you would have to fuss with placement to add more. I do not think you could have 2 bodies with lens mounted to them in the compartment at teh same time, at least one would not be under the access panel that allows you to get into it while wearing it.

Greg
Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 PM
TE Expert

all right, thx for the feedback. I'll look for something else. I need a bag a bit like the slingshot (that you can just slip to get access to the material), to fit 2 bodies mounted with short lenses, with 3 lenses (2 long ones).
thx again.
Marc
Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 AM
TE Junior Member

I've had a D300 body with a 17-55 f2.8, a D200 body, an 80-200mm f2.8, a 70-300mm VR and a 90mm f2.8 macro together with a Lee Filter set and a Manfrotto 190 strapped to the outside of a Slingshot 300 AW. It's more comfortable in a Mini Trekker AW backpack but it is possible.

The physical constraints are the only ones to worry about. Take your kit to a local camera emporium and see what it fits best. There's tonnes of bags from Crumpler, Kata, Billingham and Tamrac (+ others too numerous to mention). Try before you buy is the only way.

Good luck. Paul.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul!

The AW200 is too small/short as because if you try to fit your 400D with a 70-200mm screwed on (an example just for the sense of length) you'll be having problems zipping it up - it's gonna be too tight!

For the same reason I ordered AW300 from New York as soon as it came out (and before it was available over here) and have never looked back. But don't overload it too much if you're going for a several-hours walk as it will rip your shoulder off (as Greg says)... as would any other overloaded backpack.

The bag itself is of an exceptional quality, featherlight and worth every penny. I was even crawling through some low tunnels in Tunisia with it on my back while the bag was scratching against sharp spiky rocks above me... after later examination, there wasn't a single scratch on the bag, not even a visible mark!?!

You can fit a lot in this bag no problem, but bear in mind that the more you try to squeeze into it, the heavier it becomes! I would recommend it to everyone (and I did on several occasions).
Also, it makes a perfect hand luggage (when flying, i.e.) as I always fit in my documents, sandwich, book/magazines and a toothbrush.
;-D

Note that the AW350 model is out as well (exact copy of AW300 but with an extra room for laptop).

Hope this helps,

Robi
Old 09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
TE Newbie

I used the Slingshot when working in the Borneo jungle ... I only carry one body, but 2 zoom lenses. It was perfect: comfortable, fast access, waterproof. It did not wander around my back or dangle under my neck when I had to bend to nearly crawl under the vegetation. I did not take the full tripod there though (just a bendy Gorilla one - sorry, no pun intended), so can't help here, but Slingshot has straps....

W.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Paul,
I had a AW300 from Lowepro since less than a year, but the zip was broken and there is no possibility to repair it (too complicated it seems, according a needlewomen and a shoemaker). I just get a Trento Daypack IT from Cullmann. It is cheaper and more flexible to carry (4 options) and to access (2 options) with removable parts. With the Lowepro, sometimes it is heavy to carry all the material on one shoulder. I will see later how the Trento works. Cheers,
Catherine