Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great rushfan2112 2008-08-08 1:22

Hi Andrew.
Being from the north of England, I am a sucker for cobbled streets! Not only that, but I also like the shadowplay on them. I think this is a wonderful street scene and, pictorially, very pleasing. However, I've had a play with it and produced a sepia monochrome version that, I think, emphasises the diagonals and light and shade. See what you think - I'd be interested to know - whether good or bad. This is a lovely image as it stands, though. Regards, Paul.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:26 AM

Default To rushfan2112: Sepia finish

Hi Paul.
I appreciate the workshop you've done; it certainly does emphasise the shadows and especially the halo of light around the people. It's probably a bit dark for my taste, especially the loss of detail in the foto shop window, but it's interesting to see how the whole mood or atmosphere of a shot can change with that kind of finish. Maybe a little less dark but with a bit of graininess added? Anyway, thanks for taking the time; I see you have done some b/w work on your own last couple of uploads.
Regards,
Andrew
Old 08-10-2008, 10:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To rushfan2112: Sepia finish

Hi Andrew. No problem, mate. It's a fad with me at the moment. I tried to keep all the tones from white to black but to de-personalise the shot as the cobbles are, IMHO, the main subject matter of this shot. I'm having a play with monochrome - particularly sepia - just now and re-living my initiation into photography. I've just swapped by Leica M6 and lenses for a Nikon F100, 24/f2.8, Bronica SQ-B, 50/f2.8 and 150/f4.0 as I want to have a real go at (a) square format composition and (b) medium format as well as (c) having a 25mm film body to take some of my Nikon lenses...

I still love your shot whether in colour or in B&W. Must go have a look at Poland as it seems like the Europe that everyone's missed - so far.

Best wishes, Paul.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 AM

Default Re: To rushfan2112: Sepia finish

The F100 is a well known film camera, I believe, as is the Bronica. I can understand your returning to film, although I doubt I will do it. I used to do a lot of developing and printing in b/w about 20 years ago, and still have a lot of shots from those days. I have just moved house, and rediscovered them, thinking I might scan some of them and upload to TE. We'll see...
Anyway, keep up the good work, and if you have a chance, visit Krakow - it is marvellous.
All the best.
Andrew