Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Is it time to permit larger images?

With the price of monitors moving ever lower, and the size and pixel count moving upwards at the same speed, should the posting of images with larger dimensions be allowed now? When I joined the site back in 2003 my monitor display width was a max of 1024, my current monitor is 1680. I suspect the majority of members are now viewing on monitors with at least 1280 max resolution so a max width of 1000 pixels shouldn't cause any problem. There might also be a need to increase the max file size slightly, but again, 5 years ago most would have been on dial-up and now I suspect the majority are using broadband.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:41 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Is it time to permit larger images?

Hi Keith,

To some extend I do have to agree with you!
I just installed a new computer at my parents' house. 1680x1050 pix 22 inch screen. Well, my uploads look pretty small on that screen :-). On my 15.4" 1280x1024 it's not too bad. But I do agree that with the current developments in technology, the old upload size (in pixels as well as Kb's) does become smaller and smaller in relative terms.

Then again, bigger uploads do ask for technological advancement on the server as well. A mere 20% change in upload size would ask a lot from the server with the thousands of uploads per week...

TE will get some income from the advertisements on the site. But that might be enough to maintain the current site, perhaps not to increase capacity.
And if I then need to choose between making TE a paid site, keeping the current upload format or getting more advertisements on TE, I would go for uploading in the current format.

Then again, I would not mind either to pay 15 USD/year if it would make the site more professional. But I think that then everyone should go for it to be a paid site, I don't feel anything for some kind of 'free' and 'paid' membership, with various members getting various upload sizes.

Greetings, Dennis
Old 04-20-2008, 03:44 PM

I'd certainly be happy to pay the sort of figure you mention. It would hopefully dissuade the people who seem to be trying to use it simply as a repository for their images, rather than those who actually contribute to the site. That would have the added benefit of reducing the number of images posted and therefore the 'exposure time' on the first page.
I haven't tried experimenting, but I'm not sure if it would be necessary to increase the file size from 200k to keep acceptable quality. The potential downside of the larger image is the greater temptation for the toerags who steal images for their own use. If the larger physical dimensions were permitted I would certainly start embedding faint, embossed copyright info across the image.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
TE Newbie

I've noticed that a size of 800 is fine,but getting an image to 200kb really takes its toll on my images.The quality is significantly reduced.
I also upload somewhere else.I upload at 800,then save for web at max 100%.They look fine.Here though,i have to save at Max 80%,or the image is too big,and i can really see a difference.
Joe
Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
TE Expert

Simply yes - 1000 px is more natural today..
Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
TE Expert

The point of theft was one I did not consider and surely a point when getting images > 1000 pix, since it would be a size that is useful for print as well. And I know that watermarks work well in protecting your work, but at the same time they do take away all the fun of viewing photographs here in TrekEarth. I just don't watch a photograph with a watermark in it.

I do agree with the other comment that quite often 200 Kb is needing a compression that can ruin the photograph. Some of my photographs are 800 Kb after post-processing (in 800 pix.) If I then need to re-adjust the compression to get to 200 Kb, most of the post-processing effort is gone...

Dennis
Old 04-21-2008, 02:38 AM
TE Senior Member

There is only one risk unfortunately : theft.
If the size becomes publishable, which it may already be, at least for use in websites, we may run into a plethora of copyright violations with little teeth with which to bite off the heads of the perpetrators.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 AM
TE Junior Member

I'm all for bigger images. The drawbacks are, of course, having to scroll if the vertical is 1000 px, and a bigger file size, not to mention higher resolution downloads for potential thieves. On a 1680x1050 monitor, you wouldn't be able to view a 1000-px vertical or square photo without scrolling, and I think that detracts from the viewing experience. If we go from 800 to 1000 along one dimension, it represents a 25% increase. The other dimension also has to increase by 25%, to keep the same proportion. That represents a 56.25% increase in area. File size would increase maybe 30% to 50%, or even more, depending upon the image, of course.

Part of what make the site successful are a platform for members to post their photos, notes and critiques, and how the site is organized. But ultimately, it is the collective work of the members that make the site successful. Success also makes it more attractive to possible suitors, and the present owners stand to gain from our efforts (and their efforts and investments too, of course). The site also sells some advertising that helps to offset some of the costs. So I'm not really sold on a paid membership.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 AM
TE Newbie

It's sound good for increase the size to be bigger, but don't forget someone else cans steal our images so easy. The image is bigger than 800Kb is suitable to print and there are many stuff they can looking for. I saw some of members come and ask for solution when their images were used by someone else.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 AM
TE Newbie

Some of images the quality will be low after compress to 200kb. Is it possible to allow bigger than 200KB file?