Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-28-2006, 08:22 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Tomas Monita

I looked at the photos by Polat and honestly, I find only the one you pointed out (the last one) interesting. Its actually a good photo. The rest, from the ones I saw, very very ho hum.

As far as Monita goes, stunning work. beautiful photos. Not a big fan of portraits at all, but the other shots were very very good.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:02 PM
TE Expert

exactly what i was saying..

i guess they're running out of really good new photographers to give this really prestigious award to ;)

even i only like that photograph.. or maybe 1 or 2 more..
Old 08-28-2006, 04:15 PM
TE Expert

heheh so we agree. I like that one shot. Not any others.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:04 PM
TE Expert

And even that shot, good and striking as it is, seems so imitative. We have seen that before. Somehow, it seems nothing is happening in raw photography (not meaning RAW, just meaning the simple act and choices as you take a picture), as if the history of the medium is fixed, with merely little branches coming out of the big ones. I only sense that, maybe, there might be a reaction trend to extreme sophistication and extreme emotion too, given so many snapshot-like type of pictures. But contrarian trends do not history make, quite yet.

On the other hand, just to go out there with one's camera, and use it with a purpose, as an individual, no matter how unskilled one is, could be talent enough, given how generic and unindividual we are encouraged to become all. The purpose just has to over-ride the mere recitation of one's influences. Hey, that's called SOUL!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 AM
TE Expert

actually i realise that my previous statement that it seems like they (icp) is running out of good photographers to give the award to is just an overstatement..

they don't inspire me much personally.. both ahmet and tomas.. but then.. i guess it's also that i'm not an avid fan of the genres they follow to begin with and hence i feel that they'd have to be far better to inspire me.. not everyone likes bresson, not everyone likes avedon, i personally find ansel adams to have been an incredibly boring photographer, but i don't deny that he was very good..

unfortunately.. i feel that the realm of photography doesn't really have anything left to inspire me... so i just bought a book by kafka, his short stories.. mainly for the metamorphosis which inspired marquez to whom i'll be shifting later..

while i'm quite confortable with this medium of photography.. i don't think i really love it that much.. it's something that i still have to figure out... i'm now realising that it is also such a primitive medium as compared to say, painting or even writing..
and when i say primitive.. i mean that it's still in an early stage of it evolution which is quite understandable since it is a very new medium itself..

so as far as seeking inspiration is concerned, i'd rather hop across other mediums than try and seek it within photography itself.. this doesn't mean that i still don't appreciate any photographs that i see.. there are so many still.. but for now.. i've already seen them all (hopefully i'm wrong) and i feel like i've already squeezed out as much inspiration from them as i could..

so my words were not spoken objectively.. the photographers are good.. i'm just not inspired :)

"And even that shot, good and striking as it is, seems so imitative"

to be honest... i'm not able to point out anybody whose photographs it could be an imitation.. maybe it's because i'm more in love with what's happening in the background than the boy staring into the camera in front.. i find a certain harmony in the movements of all the people in the background.. that creates an absolutely wonderful feeling.. a kind of a harmony that i've only seen in the movements captured by raghu rai and nobody else..
but then i don't find him imitating raghu, because it's not about the composition or anything.. they're both simply moving with life in a particular way.. but the feeling that's produced at the end of it is not really similar..

on the other hand, munita has far too many similarities with mccurry in my opinion to actually sit back and take notice.. i've grown out of the mccurry phase :)
Old 08-29-2006, 12:22 AM
TE Expert

i think peter will get what i mean if he remembers the photograph of the 4 dogs in END TIME CITY..
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM
TE Expert

Got to be fun is the first requisite , especially if we are not making one kopeck out of it! :-)

I am not sure what you mean in finding it a primitive medium. Movies are even newer than photographs, but are they both so primitive that they have not produced works showing a maturity and artistic achievement that stand well against any painting or book? Personally, I think it did.

If anything, maybe it's become an old commodity too soon, actually?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:41 PM
TE Expert

unfortunately... lately i've been going through many of M C Escher's works..

and the brilliance i see in his work (and many other artist's) is not visible in any photographer's work..

maybe a majority of the photographers are imprisoned within the the confines of superficial reality and seem to be content with it.. and apart from few, nobody seems to be testing the limits of photography.. there are few who're doing it and their work is unbelievable in context of photography, but when placed in context of art or simply expression as a whole, seem to be not quite up there..

have you realised how an overwhelming number of photographers will talk of rules in photography?? and then the same people will content that photography is art..
any art within the confines of rules is quite primitive.. i believe...

ofcourse there are some who don't believe it.. but how far is their work reflected in their belief???

it's a NEW MEDIUM and so it's evolutionary cycle has just begun... and it will surely progress.. but no matter how much it progresses, as long as it doesn't catch up to other older mediums, in my opinion it will still be relatively primitive..

till then we can all slap eachother on the backs and tell one another how beautiful a medium of art photography is :)
Old 08-29-2006, 08:18 PM
TE Expert

New and primitive are 2 different things, IMO. To me, it's newer than...., not new. I agree with you that developments can take an art in different directions unpredicted before. But just like the cave murals of some 30 000 years ago, it has produced achievements that are equal to any other art, except that it is not anymore destined to an elite, as most Art used to be over a century ago. How many people had seen, let alone, appreciated a Renoir painting by the time of his death, how many people listened to a Chopin' s work in the 19th ct? I have never seen any of these caves I talk about, yet.... Photography is also reproduction, we, the world I mean, knows so much more about Renoir thanks to photography.
Moreover, as these cave murals show us, Art is not about getting better as history goes on. I do not even think its potency depends on developments. Those are the enveloppes that artists use to express the same mystery and questionning of life the cavemen did. the tools change, the vision, men may probe the depth of their own exitence rather than petition deities with their soul-searching, but the real question is always: who am I?
I believe pictures from HCB, Salgado, and even you and the members of TE who go shoot with a purpose, are asking this question thru photography. Now, the medium may be in a bind, at this point, it may very well be tied to only a few centuries of the history of man, and not another (I doubt it though), and we are certainly right in asking what the hell is happening with it now, but IMO, many ways to express themselves are at a crossroads (writing too, and most certainly painting).

Think of Jazz, its "newness" follows that of history, it had develoments that changed all of music made along and after it, and not only music, but it has seized to inseminate the art world, as well as making a difference in our lives, save from earlier decades. Still, there will never be any denying that its very newness led to changes that affected other arts, and our lives.

About rules, I am not sure what you are saying. To be confined within rules is a choice for a true artist, if he accepts that confinement. One can create within it. Think religous art for so many centuries, think ragas in indian music. I remember the first time I became interested in listening sitar, maybe R Shankar,I can't recall, but the word rule was omnipresent in understanding how the music is done, and how best appreciate it. Still, you have genius instrumentists and less gifted ones. No?

Not to speak that no rule is still a rule, a confining of oneself within a psychology we intend to live/create by... Iconoclasm has become so predictable nowadays, often more the sign of retarded adolescence, "Art institutes" elitism than true rebellion.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 PM
TE Expert

Default correction (again!)

sorry, dumbo here again, I send then re-read my text. too bad we can't edit in the forums.
I meant to qrite:

Jazz newness follows that of the history of photography.