Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Laurence 2004-05-17 4:55

Que voici une image originale... Le genre d'agrandissement qui irait merveille dans mon bureau ! J'adooore ! Tu aurais pu l'appeler "Demain,libre comme le vent".

Old 05-17-2004, 01:08 PM
TE Expert

Default To Galeota: Lourdes

Yes, I have been to Lourdes, not a very good camera when I was there. Actually I think the shops there were really bizzare, much worse tat than this, some of which was rather nicely crafted artifacts.

I think jobs like this are sort of for post retired poeple to supplement their meagre pensions, rather than actually retiring late. Here in UK a lot of old men work in a hardware superstore chain called B&Q for the same reason, and just for something to do. This one is really quite pleasant, sitting down, and chatting to passing visitors.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:21 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Galeota: Lourdes

I think it is a real good idea to remember, once in a while, that old people are still part of our society and the fact of giving them a post-retirement occupation is a way for them to see people, to talk to people, to share and to keep living.

What I meant in my previous post, and I was being rather ironic, is that in most cases, when old people work it's mainly because they have NO CHOICE. Because otherwise, society would let them go and they would probably starve to death (that is avoided in southern countries because the family cell usually takes care of his old elements).

For the old lady in your photo, it is perhaps pleasant to sit there all day long, chatting to visitors. I would just be reasured if I knew she doesn't HAVE TO sit there if she wants to have something to eat in the evening.

Cheers to you Richard
Old 05-17-2004, 01:27 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Galeota: Lourdes

Well sorry, I can't reassure you, I think she probably does have to sit there. Pensions in Ukraine are woefully inadequate, probably one of the worst aspects of many of the poorer Eastern European countries resulting from their transistion from communism.