Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Nikon or Canon?

Hi all,
sorry if my question looks stupid to some of you. I'm going to purchase a real camera after my coolpix 8700. I was very tempted by the Canon 20D. Now Nikon comes with it's D200. On a budget point of view, the later will be the most I could afford. I've ran through a lot of previews and test etc... I've the feeling that the pro are using more Canon than Nikon. Am I wrong? The Nikon looks great to me with it's 5PPS and good buffer, and ruber seals. Are they any "BIG" advantages with a Canon over a Nikon?
Thanks for your help!
Cheers
JP
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Nikon or Canon?

Alternatively you could go with a EOS350/Rebel XT, or D70S, and invest the money you save into some quality glassware for the front of your new camera.

the kit lens with your SLR is like the 16MB memory card it comes with - it'll get you going, but you can do better (-:

Just my $0.02
Old 12-02-2005, 05:56 AM
TE Expert

20D is a great camera. I would suggest that but then again the D200 I hear is also great. However remember, get good glass. That should be your #1 priority. You will replace the body in a few years but the glass will last you for a very long time. If you are on a serious budget get a very good lens (forget the kit lens) and then get the body that will fit in the budget. 20D or D200 or you could go cheaper and get the 350D or the D70. I dont think you could go wrong either way, as Canon and Nikon are both excellent companies. I chose Canon because I had a Canon SLR before and I trust Canon.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:47 AM

Thanks to both of you for your advises!
The glass in front... Yes I know I'll need something good. I read a lot about it too. Again here the fact that Nikon makes it possible to use it's old lenses makes me think that they'll keep that politic in the future. This is motivating in investing money in good lenses.
By the way when you say "good glass" what are your personal requirements for that?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 PM
TE Newbie

An excellent travel combo (in my opinion) is the Canon EOS350D body and EFS 17-85mm IS lens. The body is fairly compact, has good battery life, a decent autofocus system, and no 'obvious' features missing. The lens is pretty damn sharp, has a good zoom range, and image stabilisation for handholding in low light.

No doubt that Nikon make an equivalent body and lens. Just my 2p worth.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:05 AM
TE Junior Member

I personally prefer the Nikon D70s with the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. Unlike the 20D and 350D's lens, the kit lens that comes with the Nikon D70s is a very solid performer that normally sells for $300. It is more than enough for someone to learn on. So for around $1000, you get a great camera and a good lens that you don't need to upgrade for a while.

The 350D is also a great choice, but I tell everyone the same thing before they buy it. Go into a store and physically hold the 350D, the D20, and the D70. This makes a big difference IMO. Good luck
Old 01-02-2006, 07:10 PM
TE Newbie

I actually went with the Canon 350D just because of the size. While it's smaller than other cameras and some people don't like how it fits, I wanted the smallest and lighted SLR I could find. I do a lot of backpacking and climbing, weight and size matter a great deal to me.

-- C
Old 01-03-2006, 12:57 AM
TE Junior Member

I think the smallest and slightest SLRs are still the Pentax *ist DS/DS2/DSL cameras, though I'd imagine the Olympus can't be far off.

But if you are limited to Canon or Nikon you've made a good choice.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:17 AM

From the various replies I think you will already realise that there is no 'best' camera or manufacturer. There are many factors to take into account. Obviously price is a major factor, but when comparing the various options within your price range - and assuming they will all do what you want - the most important to me is how comfortable it feels in the hand.
I don't have particularly big hands but found the Canon 350D to be too small.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 AM
TE Newbie

The comments about what is the "best" camera are correct. I think you need to figure out what you want to do with a camera and then go for it. I just purchased a Canon 20D. I had a Canon G2(very old for a digital camera-5 years). What I wanted was to get the ability to put various "glass" on the front of it which I did not have with the G2. Not knowing anything much about what "Glass" to buy, I took a "kit" deal which had two basic, cheap lens with it. The kit also had other items included so that I figure I got the basic camera at $300 to $400 less than the street price. I thought I would go for this option for now and later invest in some good "glass" once I knew something about what lens I may want later. Just my comments-but the Canon 20D is a great camera!