Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Insurance

Hey,

I am looking for some sort of Insurance for my Camera equipment at the moment.

The only thing is I'm not really sure what/who the best is.

Does anyone have any advice about where to look and what type of cover is good? Any thoughts would be great!

Cheers!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Insurance

Blair, have a look at Glover & Howe: 01206 814500 www.gloverhowe.co.uk
I haven't had to claim yet (touch wood) but have heard good reports about them and their customer service is excellent.

On the other side of the coin is E&L. Now this company I have heard a load of old... well, I think you get the picture! (don't want to be done for libel!!).

Good luck,

Casper
Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
TE Junior Member

Hey,

Thanks a lot mate! I will check them out.

:-)
Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi,
Maybe you've done it, but check out the cover provided by your home contents policy if you have one. If you just want loss/damage and not third party liability. I was surprised how much mine covered, even when possessions are away from home.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:21 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Blair.

I'm not sure what you would define as 'best'. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for and it's often worth paying a bit more for 'the best'.

If you're a professional, you need different cover to protect against the higher duty of care that you owe to your customers (public liability cover, professional indemnity cover, etc.) as well as protecting your cameras and your income should your equipment become damaged, stolen, etc...

If you're an amateur, you need to concentrate on protecting your camera gear and having some PL cover should you cause any injury or damage to third parties or their property. Your household contents insurer might be a good starting point.

Remember that most policies operate on what's called a 'reinstatement' or 'new for old' basis. Make sure that your sum insured will be enough to reinstate your equipment 'as new'. If your cameras are now obsolete (i.e. can't buy a brand new one) set your sum insured at a level to replace with the closest equivalent. Include all your lenses, tripods, filters and digital recording media (CF, SD cards, laptops, etc.).

Insurers like to call policies 'All Risks' but there are ALWAYS exclusions. The most common relate to misuse and security - particularly when you aren't using the gear. It's very likely that you won't be covered if you leave it in an unattended vehicle - whether the vehicle is locked, in a garage or whatever...

You need to explain where you want the cover to operate - UK, EU or Worldwide. Rates and excesses will often depend on this.

As someone who's spent the last 30 years working for insurance companies, I recommend that you also approach a professional broker for some quotes. Going direct is okay but, if YOU arrange inappropriate cover, YOU have nowhere to go if you get it wrong. Insurance brokers are required to hold PI cover to protect against claims for compensation for their negligence.

Finally, before deciding on which policy to buy, compare cover. This is most easily done by comparing the "Key Facts" documents which outline the main covers and exclusions.

Hope this helps. Paul.