Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Help: How to thank everyone without replying each one ???

Hello all,

I'm new to TE and don't know if there is a way to say thanks to everyone without individually replying to each one of them. I think replying everyone with a 'thanks' is not a good practice bcoz:
- With each reply, It'll unnecessary load TE server.
- It'll fill the forums page with all 'thanks' stuff that is of no 'creative' use to anyone, may be except me and the critiquer.

So I'm in a dilemma.
I need to acknowledge everyone's remarks and at the same time don't want to reply each one. All you experienced ppl out there, please help me. Is there a solution, and if not- there should be...

Thanks and regards,
Darpan
Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Re: How to thank everyone without replying each one ?

My view is that those who post their pictures on the site are effectively saying "Thank you in advance for your critiques". If you receive a particular critique which raises some aspect you hadn't considered it's perfectly OK to respond. Explain what they spotted/suggested that hadn't originally occurred to you. Just don't reply to each and every critique. It's not necessary and, as you have already said, does have a negative effect on the site.
A much more meaningful way to say thank you is to look at the work submitted by others and give your own honest opinion of those images. I am not suggesting that you must critique those who critique you, or that you should only critique those who critique you. There have been problems in the past with groups of photographers, with their own little mutual admiration societies, who were apparently more interested in accumulating points than in helping others on the site.
Thankfully they have always been a very small minority.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Default How to thank everyone without replying each one.

Hi Darpan.

The site term of service says no excessive 'thank you' messages. However, each 'useful' critique / comment you receive can be rated as 'Useful'. As the number of 'Useful' critiques GIVEN counts towards the critiquing 'star', then I believe that is thanks enough.

It is good to occasionally make the effort to make a more personal acknowledgement but I feel this should be the exception and not the rule.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards, Paul.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:24 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Help: How to thank everyone without replying each one ??

Hi Darpan,
I remember that in my early days of TE I had the same dilemma, but I agree much with what Keith wrote. The best way to "thank" for a critique is taking a look at his/her gallery and write one or more honest critiques of his/her posts. Another thing you can do is justifying or arguing any question that the writer of the critique arose, which is more meaningful that just say "thank you". Often those kind of replies provoke interesting and educative discussions, for the ideas and reflections that are brought, sometimes quite unexpected, that lead us to see or give importance to things that had passed unnoticed.
Regards, Josť.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: How to thank everyone without replying each one ?

Thanks Keith for enlightening me. So I got my answer- there is in fact no way of doing it, except for marking the note 'useful' or 'returning' the favor! I already knew that, but...

There should be a mechanism for the photographer and others, on the photo page itself, to acknowledge others useful critiques in a way that everyone can 'see' it.

Here I'm talking abt those critiques which don't raise questions or issues (that the photographer can very well answer separately...) but are genuine praises or extended notes to the shot. See, nobody except me can 'see' a note marked useful by me- then what's the use. So, a 'visible to all' rating to the critique will tell the ppl that this particular note has been marked useful by these members. This will in turn can reveal whether that critique was even worthy of being marked or not. This solution may be on similar line to 'adding a pic to ur favorites'. One can click the 'fav' link and see all the members who marked that pic as favorite.

Any thoughts on this, anyone???

Rgds,
Darpan
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Help: How to thank everyone without replying each one ??

Hi Darpan,

You could always edit your note after a certain period to thank those who offered advice and/or praise.

Cheers!

Bob G.