Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 PM
TE Newbie

Default Unauthorized use of photos

Hi there,

I recently found out my photo is being used by a company website without my knowledge. It is a small finacial services company offering global services. Although they acknowledged my name as the photogrpaher, I think it is still wrong. If it was a non-profit organization it is a different case. Has anyone else experience this? Any tips on how to deal with it? I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Sofia
Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Unauthorized use of photos

Sofia,
have a look -search- in the forum, we have had plenty of posts like that in the past, together with advice of what to do.
and you're right. . . it's wrong!
success,
David
Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 PM
TE Senior Member

Hello Sofia,

make a print of that page (or save it in a map), send an e-mail to that site and ask for a financial compensation for the unpermitted use of your photo. Tell them that if they don't want, that you'll take further steps on it... If that site is well known, tell them that you know someone of a respected newspaper and that he will put it in his newspaper... sometimes they are afraid of negative publicity...

regards,

Luc.
(what shot is it ?)
Old 08-12-2008, 01:18 AM
TE Junior Member

This happened to me a couple of years ago. They not only used it on their web site, but also in their printed material.I kept sending emails to their human resources, customer care and finally the president of the company. No response. Zilch. Nada. Sincle then the picture has been removed, since the product, a tour of Ecuador, had taken place and the photo was no longer needed. That is why I am reluctant to post my best images, and especially in acceptibly hig res.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for the responses!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Sparky-

As someone who makes their living from photography, this really irritates me when companies do this. I am in the process of collecting from a real estate service that stole one of my images from a website.

Contact the offending company's marketing department. They are liable for $2500 per use if they are a US company. If it were me, offer to settle with them for $250 per use. This is my standard procedure. If it is a large company, ask for more. $2500 is the standard fine for copyright infringement, set by the US Supreme Court in numerous cases. It doesn't matter if you have registered the copyright or not. Once you create it, it is copyrighted.

Good luck!

~Vic~
Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Sofia,

This also happened to me, when I was showing my photos to an officemate and she told me she saw one photo in one website, too bad she couldn't remember anymore as she spends a lot of time surfing:> ...so your lucky to have seen it actually being used without your permission, I just hope that TE can assist on these issues on the members' behalf...

Rgds,
Alex
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Sofia,

It looks to me that they have posted about 12 of your images to their site. Do a Google image search on "Sofia Magallona" and watch what you get.

Good luck sorting this out.

Cheers!

Bob G.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Sofia.

As 'financial services' companies are usually very heavily regulated and scared witless about adverse reputational risks, my advice would be to find out which body governs their activity.

At that point, I would write to the offending financial services company and explain, in words of one syllable if needs be, that unless you receive the going rate (I think $250 per use was suggested earlier in the thread) you will be contacting their governing body to make a formal complaint and do whatever is required to have them reprimanded and use of the images ceased.

You could also see if they name any of their suppliers on their website and write to them informing them that company X - who sells their financial products - is using your images without your permission and without payment - to promote their business.

Naming and shaming is a very effective and, usually, very quick way of getting the result. Sling plenty of mud and some of it will stick.