Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great drt100 2019-10-31 2:06

Great view of some really spectacular ruins. Sounds like a worthy trip. I often avoid group tours myself. In these countries there might be safety in numbers. Being able to speak some Asian languages allowed me to wonder alone, but I have no middle east skills.

These ruins must have been really wonderful when freshly built. Not sure what is leaning against the wall actually belongs there. I have visited many places in Turkey and Cambodia where things are not really natural, but placed by non-expert constructors. If however, the whole wall was coated with this façade with Lions - wow!! Great Photos from 1995 - well done.

David

Old 10-31-2019, 10:55 AM
TE Expert

Default To drt100: belonging there?

Thank you David,
On my visit I had no reason to question whether that frieze on the ground belonged to the temple, and I am sure it did. But it may have been placed in this spot temporarily, for an unknown reason, because when I see recent photos from the same angle on the net it isn't there. I have no idea what happened. Maybe it was moved to a museum.
Regards,
Gert