Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Needs Improvement HooleyHoop 2006-06-24 11:48

Hi Keen, I'm afraid this doesn't work for me at all. I'm always at a loss as to why people try such extreme angles on what would I'm sure would probably have been a good landscape anyway.

Also, your sepia effect is too extreme for this photo and you cant really get an idea of what the sky was like originally. Have you tried converting to B&W and then applying a very slight warming filter to this instead? This produces a warm B&W rather than the coldness of the raw conversion and makes images look far better that sepia (in my opinion).

sorry to have been harsh but I am sure you are wanting to improve so I've tried my best to give your constructive advice to do just that.

Thanks

Chris

Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To avene: Spring is Busting....

Hello Kristine -

Thank you for your comments. That was just the reaction I was working toward when I made this image. The flowers formed a perfect leading line to the tree.

I hope you will not be disappointed with Yellowstone. I think May is just a bit early for the wildflowers as the snow will just be off in most places by that time. My experience with Yellowstone, and most of the Rockies, is that the wildflowers arrive late in June at the lower elevations and late in July at the higher elevations (Yellowstone is 6-8000-feet). Of course, this all depends upon the winter snows. If the snow hangs on later than normal the flowers will be later. I remember one trip to Glacier when they had a late winter storm in June and the wildflowers did not peak until about the second week in August, just in time for our trip. One bright thing about May, if there are no wildflowers, is that there will be a new crop of babies in the meadows. Make sure you spend some time in the Lamar Valley (NE corner of the park) arrive before the sun and stay until after the sun. This is when the wildlife will show itself. You can tour the geysers and mud pots during the day but be there early and late. I have heard the wolf in the Lamar but have never seen him. Enjoy! I am envious.

Thank you again.

John
Old 12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To avene: Spring is Busting....

hi John,

yes, I realise that even late May can be tricky in terms of weather. last time we were there in late August, one day was +25C, the next day it was snowing, I imagine the spring is equally crazy. but I am obsessed with Yellowstone, I simply NEED to go back there, and end of May seems like the best trade-off - still no crowds, and already the weather might be good.

you're right about Lamar Valley, we're certainly going to spend more time there.

best,
Kristine
Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To avene: Spring is Busting....

Yes, I forgot to mention no crowds if you are before Memorial Day. Even after until well into June the crowds should be tolerable. Enjoy!

My wife and I are going to Colorado in early May for college graduations and have not nailed down our return trip. Yellowstone was one of the return suggestion as was Moab/Monument Valley. It will be a difficult choice.

Later

John