Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-23-2003, 01:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default For Carolyn

Hi Carolyn
Just a quick question - I noticed the vignetting on the pic and initially assumed it was taken with your Lomo, but then noticed the camera you entered was the D100. Did you add the vignetting in post-processing? If not how did you achieve it?

Regards
Gary
Old 09-23-2003, 04:52 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: For Carolyn

Yes, its post processing. It's done in Photoshop. Create a new layer, get a nice big brush and draw around the outside in black. Then go to blur/gaussian blur. Here I blur to about 31. Then go back to the layer and you can then reduce the opacity to get the effect you like! Any questions let me know. I am a terrible teacher.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:20 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: For Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. I'll have to disagree about the "terrible teacher" self-deprecation. I tried out your technique here. See what you think.

Gary
Old 09-23-2003, 07:55 PM
TE Newbie

Default Easier way

It can be done also without hand-drawing: press command-a (control-a on a PC) to select all.
Then in menu choose 'Select → Modify → Border'. Choose size in pixels half the width of desired shadow.
Then in menu choose 'Select → Modify → Smooth' with about previous size in pixels.
Then in menu choose 'Select → Feather' with radius of your choise (also can be as previous'.
Create new layer, choose black as your foreground colour and fill this selection (can be done quickly by pressing option-backspace (alt-delete on a PC).
The change layer opacity according to your taste (can be done quickly by pressing numbers on a keyboard with 'Move Tool' activated).