Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Workflow problems

I can only speak for myself but seldom am I totally happy with the fruits of my labours after I've finished processing digital files.

My early efforts were limited to JPEGs until I discovered that there actually is an advantage to shooting RAW as it records a lot more detail in shadow and highlight areas than JPEG does.

I've got a couple of processing suites (Nikon Capture NX and Photoshop CS3) but still I'm seldom happy with what I can produce with them. At this point I'll reiterate that I'm the one who can't use the PP suites and that there's nothing wrong with either piece of software.

The problem, I think, is that I don't have a reliable routine. Many of the functions in both pieces of software (at least the immediately obvious ones that I tend to use) are pretty straightforward.

Taking CS3 as an example, the first thing that happens when I load up a file is that it chucks it into the RAW conversion process. At this point I go down the sliders (in order), tweaking / re-tweaking them until I feel that it looks pretty much okay. Then I 'open' the file.

At that point, I then have a play with the colour, saturation, curves, brightness / contrast and other 'obvious' tools to marginally improve the original conversion. Most of the time I'm reasonably happy with the outcome but there are times I run out of steam and post it anyway. I have NEVER used "layers" as I don't know how to.

Do others Trekkers have similar problems? Is there a 'tried and tested' routine that gets the job done more methodically?

Paul.