Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-04-2003, 05:53 AM
TE Newbie

Default Software and hardware people use?

I'm interested in knowing what software and hardware everyone is using to manage, edit and share their photos.

I'm using Photoshop Elements 2.0 for editing and like it a lot.

But I'm looking for the best software to put my photo's on to a DVD to share with familly and friends. I purchased Photoshop Album and liked it but it only does VCD. I also have Roxio Easy CD & DVD, which is what I am currently using to build my DVD's. Its just ok for this purpose. It looks like it would be pretty good for video.

On the hardware side what printers and scanners does everyone use and how do you like them?
Old 09-04-2003, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Software and hardware people use?

Photoshop 6 for editing, ACDSee classic for rough cataloging, IrfanView for slideshows.

Printer:
Canon S900. I like it a lot! About a minute per A4(Letter) photo, not quite lab quality, but not far off...

Scanners:
Slide/film: Nikon SuperCoolscan 4000 ED/ SF200 loader. Excellent resolution, scan quality. Unfortunately it rarely (if ever) loads slides straight - and although the IR prescan should tell it exactly where the slide mount is, you still have to crop it manually. Slide loader prone to jamming. Should be a lot better than it is for the money IMO.
Flatbed: Epson GT7000 (SCSI) - very happy with it.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:12 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks, Adrian.

Thats nice to know about the Canon. I'm looking at the Canon i9100 for printer. I have always owned HP though so its good to get feedback on the Canon. On your Canon how is it just printing a document?

The Scanner information is good too. I have a need to scan about 10,000 to 15,000 slides that my father-in-law has taken of trains over his life time. Most of these trains no longer exist and I would like to preserve them for history and others.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:21 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Minimum hardware question...

As I understand it, about the most important thing is to have enough RAM to hold your editing program and a few copies (versions) of your image at one time. That way you don't have to wait while the CPU swaps files back to/from the hard drive. Do I have that right?

If so, how does one determine how much RAM is needed for something like PSE? Maybe PSE and Neat Image open at the same time?

Seems like the time required to move a new ~2.5 to 10 meg image from the hard drive is not very significant.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Minimum hardware question...

You need to have memory available for you image-editing software to be twice the size of the picture.

For example: raw 5 megapixels image holds 14MB. You need 28MB RAM available to PSE to feel yourself comfortable.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Hardware: AMD Athlon XP+ 3.0 GHz, 2 Gig RAM

Software: PS 7.0 for editing, Capture One for RAW conversion, BreezeBrowser for RAW/JPEG extraction, NeatImage for noise removal, Windows Explorer for viewing :)

I also have an old Minolta Scan Dual to scan my old films but I haven't really use it for more than 2 years now. The dust removal is just horrible. I also have a old Epson 1200U flatbed scanner. My friends used it more than I do.

Actually, the memory requiement for PS depends on how much manupulation you are going to do and if you want to keep a history for the changes or not. I have a RAW workflow processing that by the last step, if I keep all the step in memory, it would chew around 512MB from a 3 MPixels RAW file.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:03 PM

I'd strongly recommend the Canon - it's brilliant for photos. I don't use it for normal printing though, our HP LaserJet 4000 gets that job.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:06 PM

RAM is still cheap at the moment, so having more than you need isn't a problem - unless you're running very old hardware and Win98 or earlier. I have 512Mb on this machine, and it's the one I use for slidescanning. A little more wouldn't hurt though!
Old 09-04-2003, 11:27 PM
TE Newbie

All,

I just upgrade my hole PC system. To Pentium IV 3.2 GHz with 2 Gig Mem and 128 meg on the video card and a 19" flat screen and 2 drives with one for progams and one for just photos. The system is realy fast compared to my last system which was just a 1 GHz with 512 Meg of mem.

I also got the DVD burner, which is realy nice. So I'm now looking for a good scanner to do a lot of slides and a program to best burn them on to a DVD.

Then looking for a good photo printer.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:00 PM
TE Newbie

Default Sony VAIO Laptop and PS 5.5