Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-26-2003, 04:16 PM
TE Newbie

Default Strange headers from Apple

Hi, I'm new to TE and I'm having some problems uploading images. For my first submissions, I batch processed a group of images to meet the size limits for upload. I submitted two pictures from the batch with no problem. Now I get a wierd message about a strange header from Apple. These are JPEGs processed on a Mac, so what's the problem? - D
Old 08-26-2003, 04:42 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Strange headers from Apple

I had the same problem to upload workshopped picture. After saving the picture to workshop from the site and used photoshop I couldn't upload my workshop version of the picture. It seems that when using "save as" (CAP +  + S) from the menu, it changes the header. After many attempt and the help of Adam I succeed by using "save" ( + S).
I didn't had this problem when uploading my picture for the gallery with a digital picture. Maybe I'll have to do a test with a scanned picture.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:10 PM
TE Expert

"I submitted two pictures from the batch with no problem."

I have made the validation script more strict since some were experiencing hanging images. Another problem is that a few photos have these headers but display fine. I have no idea why some display fine and some do not. If I ever figure out how to fix the headers I'll make the changes to the jpeg directly.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:04 PM
TE Newbie

OK, How do I upload my pictures? I upload images to PBase and Imagestation all the time with no problem. The "save as" process allows me to save the original without changes. Do I need to make copies prior to editing? This doesn't help me with batch processing since these are all "save as". In this case two images from the same batch uploaded and the rest would not. - D
Old 08-26-2003, 07:45 PM
TE Expert

"I upload images to PBase and Imagestation all the time with no problem."

Is this the photo you are referring to?
http://www.pbase.com/image/1319534/original

When I look at that photo in notepad I do not see any reference to apple. Do the original jpegs you upload to pbase contain 'apple' in it? The images you upload to TE do contain the word 'apple' in it.

"In this case two images from the same batch uploaded and the rest would not."

These were also causing problems but I manually fixed it.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:33 PM
TE Newbie

Default Save for web?

Why don't you use 'save for web'?
It is more accurate with jpegs: easier to adjust quality/filesize and 100% compatible with everything. (command-control-shoft-s in photoshop)
Old 08-26-2003, 08:33 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Save for web?

[command-OPTION-shift-s], sorry
Old 08-26-2003, 08:45 PM
TE Newbie

I am not sure where I am suposed to see "apple". You reference the "header". How can I view the header? Certainly I am not adding anything to the header. If it is there, it is because the image has been processed in PhotoShop on a Mac. I'm wondering what in your system is flagging these images, since there is nothing "wrong" with them.

I just posted a new image "Train Time" which I batch processed on a PC and it uploaded fine. - D
Old 08-26-2003, 09:24 PM
TE Expert

"How can I view the header?"

Open up the jpeg image in a text editor and do a search for "apple".

"it is there, it is because the image has been processed in PhotoShop on a Mac."

The problem is not only due to the apple headers, but when they are accompanied by a UTF reference as well. You can search for "UTF" and you will see that as well on the problem jpegs.

"I'm wondering what in your system is flagging these images"

Only IE has a problem displaying these images. Several others have the same problem. See this thread for a thread describing the problem.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:35 PM
TE Newbie

My problem isn't with displaying the images, I can't upload them. What do I do to upload them? - D