Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default WHY WHY WHY??

I just saw a photo of a cat getting deleted. The cat seemed to be the photographerīs cat - but it didnīt present it to us as a pet. He told us about a certain behavior of cats. I think this should be allowed. IMO, it makes a difference whether I post ...
... a photo of a cat without a note or with the note "this is my sweet pussycat" ...
... or if I post ...
... a photo telling about catsī behavior (and only use the photo as an example)

And ... photos saying "My baby", "my little boy" etc. are deleted (itīs good to delete them, this is not a family album) - but all those photos of little kids from Asia etc. (without specific notes) getting points over points and "oh, how sweet", "oh, how innocent" etc.
I think these photos should only be accepted if there is a note, a story behind it - in which situation the photographer had met this children, what it was doing ... a face of a little kid (I know they are sweet) seems to be a "free ride" for some people on this site ...
Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: WHY WHY WHY??

It most probably should have been posted on TrekLens.

What does a cat tell us about the country etc, unless the cat is specific to the country or something like that?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Alright, thatīs an argument. But what does a "sunset over the sea" tell me about a certain country?
What do the "streetshots" showing blurred legs in Black/White tell me about a certain country?
What does a photo of a red wall with two green letters on it tell me about a certain country (just because the colors matched so nicely)?
These photos often get many points!

When is a photo really specific for a country?
When it shows people in traditional dresses?
When it shows villages of local farmers?

Is a photo of a skyscraper specific for a country?
There are skyscrapers in almost every country - they look all the same!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:10 PM
TE Junior Member

I live in Ireland. We have no buildings higher than 14 stories. So, a skyscraper is not in every country. On my very first visit to the US I was stunned by the high skyscrapers.

Some countries are land locked, so there are no beautiful sunsets over water.

Street shots show you a scene of daily life in a city which can be very different across the world.

Every country is different ... but a cat is a cat.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Default TWILIGHT ZONE

So what do you think about photos of ducks in a lake, pelicans on the pier, squirrels in the park, a birdīs nest?

What I want to say: There are photos which clearly donīt fit this site ...
- photos where you can hardly see whatīs displayed because everything is blurred
- photos of "my baby", "my girlfriend", "my pussycat"

But some photos are in the "Twilight Zone" - itīs a matter of interpretation.

Example:
I can post a photo of my house with the title "My House". If I post this photo with this title - I suggest the intention: "I want to show you my house"
(In this case, the photo has to be deleted)
I can post the same photo with the title "A typical house in an Austrian Small Town".
(In this case, itīs okay to post it) ... but would it be still okay, if I added a note: "This might interest you, itīs a typical house for my country - but Iīm sorry, I choosed my own house as an example" ???
Old 06-11-2007, 06:29 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: TWILIGHT ZONE

I saw the cat. It was a cat: an ordinary domestic pet. So sunsets are boring, ducks and swans send me to sleep. I don't care for pelicans much either. But they are not against the rules and pictures of domestic pets are against the rules. If the criteria of 'learning about the world through photography' were adhered to, a good proportion of the pictures posted would be deleted. I'm sorry, but I'm glad the cat went.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
TE Senior Member

This is WHY WHY WHY:

http://www.trekearth.com/guidelines.php

Certain types of photos are generally not permitted on TrekEarth. These include the following:

Photographs of family, friends, or pets (not only one's own).
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
TE Junior Member

From the site Guidelines - The underlying theme of TrekEarth is learning more about the world through photography. Please keep this goal in mind when you post photos. If you can’t articulate how the photo helps others learn about the world, then it probably doesn’t belong on TrekEarth.

So, a photo of a house, being a typical house for that country/region is allowed. As long as you explain and show how it tells people about the area.

Many animals/birds are specific to certain countries. Many are seen as part of daily life. Squirrels in a park in the middle of a city is not exactly typical and can add to the enjoyment of people visiting that city. Many people may never have seen a squirrel or a swan or a duck etc.

Photography is subjective. A note always helps. But of course there are images that clearly break the rules for TE, such as a person posting a photo of his cat.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
TE Junior Member

From the site Guidelines - The underlying theme of TrekEarth is learning more about the world through photography. Please keep this goal in mind when you post photos. If you can’t articulate how the photo helps others learn about the world, then it probably doesn’t belong on TrekEarth.

So, a photo of a house, being a typical house for that country/region is allowed. As long as you explain and show how it tells people about the area.

Many animals/birds are specific to certain countries. Many are seen as part of daily life. Squirrels in a park in the middle of a city is not exactly typical and can add to the enjoyment of people visiting that city. Many people may never have seen a squirrel or a swan or a duck etc.

Photography is subjective. A note always helps. But of course there are images that clearly break the rules for TE, such as a person posting a photo of his cat.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Read the TOS TOS TOS!! ... :

"Photographs of family, friends, or pets (not only one's own) are highly discouraged and may be removed with notice. " Is the cat a PET? Someone's pet?

As to the "Asian etc." kids: I think we have to be very, VERY careful here...
I see photos from ALL OVER THE GLOBE that IMHO have very, VERY little to do with our theme...

Personally I abstain from critiquing said photos, and sometimes, some places, recommend that they be placed on TrekLENS which is more of a free-for-all... What somewhat gets my goat is when I see members who are not novices, < judging from a) their points; b) their sign-up date > who go overboard on their [socalled] critique(s).

But hey, the very same thing can be said about "critiques" on photos which are from very good photographers but which have a flaw of one type or another. RARELY - in my experience - is a really honest critique offered them... I have come to the following conclusion: It is as if the "mutual-massage groupies" are more interested in sowing and harvesting deep-greens than in honesty and learning!

That's WHY WHY WHY eh!

All the best, Jay

"Without fear or favour"...