Product Shots... What Lens?

• Hi all,

Im wondering what would be the best lens for taking closeup shots of long spearguns.. their lengths range from 90cm to 170cm. I would like the shot to be close so to see the details of the product.

What lens would be best for this job(Canon 30D)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.... Thanx in advance!

Zein.
  • Re: Product Shots... What Lens?
    ok i guess not then. thanx anyways!!!

Zein
    A few factors to consider - your distance from the objects and how much of the shot you want to fill.

Any lens would do. Maybe 24-70mm L
    Hi Zein,

It's a bit of an impossible question. Are you shooting close up or trying to keep everything in focus? Are they action shots os studio shots? Artistic or simple record shots for catalogues?

I'm sure that some of the guys here would be happy to help. However, I thibk you need to provide a bit more of a brief.

Incidentally, are you a professional or an amateur? How do you get this sort of job if you don't have this sort of knowledge already?

I'm not trying to be critical or sarcastic, it just seems an unusual request for something so specific.

Best wishes,

Paul.
    Thanx for the replys guys..

Im no pro.. i just want to take closeup pics but of the whole thing which is about 1.4 meters long.. so when i try to take the shot with my 17-85 or 50mm lenses i would not be able to be close enough and have the whole thing in frame.. the only ways is to back out which then will not show the details properly.. or take the pic at an angle or tilted where the gun streches from corner to corner.. is it still an unusual request?

Thanx
    Zein
    Zein, it's a dilemma. If you get an ultra-wide like an 10-20mm lens, you risk the item looking slightly curved if you don't shoot absolutely square-on to it. Even then, to get the whole of the item in shot will leave a lot of room in the frame (top and bottom). I don't think there is a perfect answer to fill your 35mm viewfinder. Maybe a few taken at angles might be more illustrative - and maybe more interesting? Good luck. Paul.
    Ok thanx i really appreciate ur input. Im gonna try out a 10-22 from a friend and see.

Thanx
    Zein