Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-22-2005, 01:58 PM
TE Newbie

Default how to resize a photo for TE??

Hi everyone, this has me stumped. When I go to resize a photo for uploading, I set the size of the largest dimension to 800pix and resize. My resolution is set to 72 pix / inch. The photo resizes but often it is still too large to meet the 200kb criteria for uploading.

What should I do next to reduce the file size to 200kb without shrinking my image to the size of a postage stamp or losing detail??

Sometimes I have had to reduce the size of the largest dimension to 550pix to get the file size under 200kb but then the image displays poorly because it is so small.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: how to resize a photo for TE??

Please check this other thread, Sally.
I guess you'll find your answer there... ;-)
Old 10-23-2005, 01:18 AM
TE Newbie

hmmm.....not really. I have an old version of Adobe PhotoDeluxe (I guess this was the precursor to Photoshop). That's what I have been using to try and resize (and edit) photos. It came free with a computer I bought in 1996, so it's a bit old!

I also have Picasa, I'll poke around in there and see what it can do for me.

Thanks
ST
Old 10-23-2005, 02:36 AM

go to www.virtualzone.de and you'll find a program: resizer.

it lets you resize hundreds of photo's in 1 buttonclick!
you can adjust it to anything... to a certain maximum pixelsize... or max. width of ... cm/inch/pixels

good luck!
Mathias
Old 10-23-2005, 03:11 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Mathias,

Thanks for the lead, it's a handy little program. I have one more question for you....

I tried resizing a photograph. Using "Smart JPEG Resizing", I set the size of the longest dimension at 800pix. Then in "Output" I set the compression at the lowest setting (compression factor 1) to get the best quality output and my photo resized at 254kb - too large for TE.

So then I tried resizing it again, this time moving the compression just one click to the right (compression factor 6) and the photo resized to just 68kb!

I am worried that a file size this small may appear with a really low resolution when uploaded - am I worrying over nothing? Do file sizes this small still look good when uploaded to TE?

Thanks for your assistance,
ST
Old 11-17-2005, 11:02 PM

Hi sally
off course they do not look that good as the original from your camera. You can also resize it to a smaller ''maximum amount of pixels.... Try to resize it to 750pix... or 700 and look what's the differences in Kb-size.
good luck!
mathias