Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-12-2007, 03:43 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Turkish cat photos

But what do you personally think about a photo from Greece (I know you like Greece) showing an idyllic narrow lane on a small island with two cats sitting on the doorsteps? Would you take this photo? Would you post it here? If so, what kind of note would you write?
>>>>

That's acceptable, and I've never said it isn't. If a cat walks to Greek streets, or Italian streets, or German streets, and it just walks there and you've captured it within your photo (a photo which tells more than only : I saw this cat walking in this narrow street), that's fine by me. I would probably tell something about that town, or the specific architecture. Maybe if the cat did something funny after I took the photo orso, I would mention that in the note aswell. I don't want to ban all photo's with cat's or dogs, but really..there has to be a good note or a special circumstance...for why this pet is in there.

Just a photo to show your cat, or this cute cat from the neighbours, or this funny black/white/red/brown [or even purple/green/yellow ;) ] cat you saw there and there, like you say...that's a no go.

Would you post photos with the note "Greece seems to have more street cats than humans ... or even than islands?" ... This would tell people from other countries an interesting fact about Greece ...
>>>>>
indeed, there is nothing wrong with that. But I would not post a basic cat photo to tell that, maybe I would try to capture 40 cats in one frame, eating around a tree..to tell this message. This would tell something of the world. But another cute photo of another cat (again I have one myself..) does not, even if it accompanies such a note.

In Greece there are many stray cats, for example in Rhodes or on Kos (my mother and brother saw a lot of them gather around a tree in the evening..like 40, 50+ maybe around 100 cats!)
This can be photographed and you can tell a bit the situation there with the stray cats, maybe how brutal they are.

For example this one is okay although I would like a longer note, ofcourse. It includes a cat, but it shows more (architecture, evening scene)

but this one is not, imo

this one includes a long note (Wiki), but still..it's just a cat photo..

also a bit too basic I can't read the note aswell, but that's my problem ;)

cute, really I love them, but still it doesn't fit on the site..

totally pointless without a note ..this is the worst degree of cat photo's if you ask me.

And I've reported the last one, cause it is not even cloes to borderline.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:53 PM
TE Senior Member

Expect the Turksih cats theme to become smaller in number of photo's!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:22 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Pet Oysters

Hi Jay,

Dirty boots, but I like the concept of pet oysters! I'm a dog person myself - Thanks Jay for standing up for us - but moving often, I'd say that oysters might be easier. I can't keep a decent plant alive if my neighbours would not water them. But oysters, what can go wrong with oysters? Anyone should be able to keep oysters alive I'd say! And if I'm moving again I could eat them. I like oysters as well, bit of lemon and a white wine. Well, you could also eat your dog. I'm not joking... Not for dog lovers this picture. But that would be a bit drastic. Though allowed on TE! On which I agree, since it has to do with culture and an interesting note was added...

So tell me, where can I buy my pet oysters??!! :-)
Old 06-12-2007, 04:45 PM
TE Expert

Hahaha! I LOVE your choice in cat pictures and even more the explanation you give on whether or not they should be allowed. And yes, there are some incredibly bad pictures there! Hope they are not deleted immediately, so that others can 'enjoy' them as well.
What I especially like is that there is actually one consistent element in all shots - next to the cats. One member has given almost all of your examples a positive smiley hahahaha!! Clearly a cat lover :-D

Just to share another cat. Love the comment of the person posting: "It is not my pet, it is not pet of my friend and family. This car is not my car and this is not car of my friends and family. THIS IS WILD CAT IN SOMEBODYS CAR. I wrote this cause someone decided that this photo violate the TrekEarth terms of service and therefore was deleted."
Well, fair enough I'd say. Good note to a picture that doesn't seem to get the smiley-meter running high.

And another cat for which you can even find a link in the note to a high-res version on another site. Hahaha.

I think we should look beyond cats. Perhaps a TE usage note that a shot could be removed if it has little to no artistic value? Or how would you say that incredibly cheesy shots will be deleted? Anyone any suggestions? :-)

Greetz, Dennis
Old 06-12-2007, 04:56 PM
TE Junior Member

I wonder how many Turkish Cat images will be removed now that they are getting attention, especially since many don't show much more than a cat.

Some cat photos I think should be allowed to stay - lions, tigers, cheetah, manx cats (an unusual breed), and such.

But general urban cats? They really don't show us much of the world, and it really does go back to the terms of service for TE.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Interesting posting. That dog photo is very different. I wonder has anyone posted a similar image of a cat?? There's bound to be someone, somewhere who eats cat.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:09 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,

I had a long search, but couldn't find any roasted cats. Just for your curiosity;
We do have roasted ox on TE.
Argentino assado and grilled Philippine lechón, which I posted myself. No grilled cat. Though the taste is nice I know from experience. Have been eating both cats and dogs in Angola since there was nothing else to eat...
Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Back to TL pictures on TE

Having said that... My eating habits in countries that are culturally strongly different from my home country - and in places where the average nutritional intake of the local inhabitant is below the normal level of survival - is not really the point of discussion here.
Yeah sorry, I myself am for an important part for this deviation, starting at pet oysters and ending at grilled dog.

It's not just about pet animals! It's also about those pictures that are just too blurred or low quality to show and teach us anything about the world!! But that's difficult to put in a rule as well? Minimum no of megapixel? No, wouldn't work.. No shots with mobile phones? No, have seen some great Nokia shots and also so awfully blurred Nikon or Canon shots. I honestly would not know how to make a rule on pictures that are in quality just too low to teach us anything...
Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
TE Senior Member

dennis,
i have a strange feeling that your popularity won't soar since ... it's not very likely that any of the readers of this forum have ever starved and probably will have a hard time understanding.
... back to business, photos should have a story - i also learned that in time and am trying to apply it as often as i can ... at least for photos posted on TE - where the story should be far more interesting then one's little story about his/hers own pet or even kid - which might prove to be rather uninteresting for other viewers excepting of course family or close friends.
take care,
dora
Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
TE Junior Member

You raise a valid point here, Gisi ... BUT again this is now after some < strong > discussion about "Photo of a cat"

Let's look at what all a "Photo of a cat" can be!

For instance here we have a"Walk" one
that is completely different from this "Black" one
or these
"White" one and
"White" two...

I note that BOTH are from your Theme...

Personally I have NO obection to the "Walk" shot..
but surely the "Black" one, along with at least 2/3rd of the shots garnered in said Theme
are clearly PETS, and nothing, absolutely NOTHING/b> is gained by having these shots on TE...

Weird thing is of course that ALL of THIS can be avoided by putting those shots on the correct galleries ; i.e. on TL!!! < Pity the TL members...? ;) >

There is another aspect that keeps getting missed; the very clearly Guidelines state:
""Certain types of photos are generally not permitted on TrekEarth. These include the following:
Nude photographs unless the nudity is intrinsically related to an event such as a regional festival, daily living, or the like.
Photographs of family, friends, or pets (not only one's own). ""

So, can we please have some sense here? Most of us can tell the difference between the intent on the "Walk" cat and the "Back" & "Whites"...

For instance the shot: "White" two... without a doubt is a great portrait; however I would suggest that its natural home is on TL - even given the extensive Note - ! Clearly that cat is a PET! < See Guidelines >.

Jay